Legal Bat list Updated Jan 2020

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2015
Top link is for the allowed/approved bats in the NCAA

PRWSB_ApprovedBatList.pdf

The bottom link is for the newly removed bats from the NCAA list...
I tried to cut and paste the July 2019 and December 2019, deleted bat list...but my computer skills aren't the greatest (sorry)

To see the latest deleted bats (illegal bats) in the NCAA, you'll need to scroll down to the very bottom of the list

PRWSB_BatListSummaryofChange.pdf

For my DDs, this means the beloved stampedBlack/Blue 2012 Xeno, and the White and Blue 2013 Xeno are not longer legal...

Those are/were great bats...

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I had to do some research ... I hope I say this correctly:

It means it produced a batted ball in excess of 98 mph during a test. Since they test them on an ongoing basis and with actual bats being used in games (not a test model supplied by the manufacturer), a bat model is allowed three “strikes” before it is banned.

Supposedly people use this list to “figure out“ which bats get hotter as they are used.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Very fascinating article on bats, compression testing, how bats get “hot”, and the ongoing testing ...

To prevent those illegal practices, Smith’s lab performs softball bat certifications for the Amateur Softball Association of America and develops compliance testing protocols for the NCAA.

Those certifications were used by the NCAA to combat cheating starting when, in 2007, the NCAA began testing bats from teams that reached the final sites after the conclusion of the Divisions I, II and III championships. This was done to see if any bats were out of compliance from the allowable 98 mph batted ball exit speed.

Because the performance of composite bats was found to improve as they break in, the program expanded in 2010 to include in-season bat compliance testing and the pre-screening of bats at each tier of the postseason to ensure they remained within the rules. The offensive statistics in softball have remained on a relatively steady pace since the in-season testing began.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00