Lefty Catchers Have Advantage Receiving RH pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Prompted by the recent LH catching thread and Lenski's video of his LH catcher in the catcher beast thread. Hadn't really recognized this before, but now that I have, I'm pretty convinced that a LH catcher has a receiving advantage over a RH counterpart when receiving a RH-throwing pitcher, particularly when facing a RH batter. I also believe that the opposite holds true for a RH catcher/LH pitcher.

Without explaining why yet, I'm curious to know if anyone else sees what I'm seeing!

Dec 19, 2012
Yes. It concerns receiving and sticking movement pitches moving away from RH hitters. The LH catcher does not have to reach across their body and try to stick the pitch. They can receive the ball and stick the pitch from the outside-in.

Technically, the LH catcher can attack every pitch from the outside-in since their glove hand is opposite the RH pitchers throwing hand, but it really shows up on the movement pitches away from the RH hitter.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Prompted by the recent LH catching thread and Lenski's video of his LH catcher in the catcher beast thread. Hadn't really recognized this before, but now that I have, I'm pretty convinced that a LH catcher has a receiving advantage over a RH counterpart when receiving a RH-throwing pitcher, particularly when facing a RH batter. I also believe that the opposite holds true for a RH catcher/LH pitcher.

Without explaining why yet, I'm curious to know if anyone else sees what I'm seeing!

With you 100%!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish