Lag ... and how it pertains to the swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
This is not high level or any level.:confused:

To each his/her own.
tumblr_oo5bo2PK0T1usf292o1_250.gif

tumblr_oo5bwfftyF1usf292o1_400.gif

It helped us. May not work for others that's fine.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
To each his/her own.
tumblr_oo5bo2PK0T1usf292o1_250.gif

tumblr_oo5bwfftyF1usf292o1_400.gif

It helped us. May not work for others that's fine.

Regarding the demo ... while the ends of the forearms have a fixed point in common at the handle of the bat, the forearms are not parallel to one another. Taking that into account gives a somewhat different perspective IMO.

Feb 14, 2010
Turning the triangle is an extremely difficult yet important part of the swing. Focus too much on it and you will create an elbow pivot point which will end up dumping the barrel instead of a hand pivot point which will deliver the barrel on plane on time.

What controls the barrel?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Turning the triangle is an extremely difficult yet important part of the swing. Focus too much on it and you will create an elbow pivot point which will end up dumping the barrel instead of a hand pivot point which will deliver the barrel on plane on time.

While both 'hands' influence the barrel, it is the "top-hand path" that largely 'controls/supports' the barrel. Getting the top-hand path correct is a big part of what I work on ... and IMO, when you get this correct then you can really let the energy flow without worrying about dumping the barrel.

May 3, 2014

How do you dump if you keep scap pulled back? Is that even possible?

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Just stopped Teacherman vid after 1:15. He claims you have to be uncoiling right as the foot lifts up. I don't believe that's what is happening. Looking at swings of Cabrera and others that are typically posted. The demo Teacherman does does not look the same as high level swings in this regard.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just stopped Teacherman vid after 1:15. He claims you have to be uncoiling right as the foot lifts up.
Yes, Talking about the lower body running start. Yes, he does say 'whether it is coil, uncoil. Sounds like forward by coil to me. If a hitter isn't doing what Teacherman is demoing than it would be a 'hip slide' 'push' swing. Are you saying Cabrera is a 'hip slider, push swinger'.
Watch it again:

Again it's not for everyone but, I pity the fools......

Oct 2, 2015
For me, I want loose/oily/unhinging wrists going into and through impact.

Have you tried comparing "loose" wrists vs. wrists that "power" the bat head through the ball with any of your older girl batting students?
The reason I suggest using an older player is that they would able to change back and forth between "loose" wrists and "powering" wrists.
And it has to be the same girl batting, same bat, exact same balls... so the only variable is the loose vs. powering wrists...

And in that comparison, have your ever tried it on a bigger softball field, (275' or 300') to measure the difference in distance the ball is hit between "loose" hands and "powering" hands?
Or have you ever measured ball exit speed when comparing "loose" vs. "powering" wrists, with the same batter?

Thanks

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi