Lag ... and how it pertains to the swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Some questions to ponder in this regard:
Where are the muscles are that are used for gripping?
Do wrists (or any other joints) have muscles? What controls joint movement?
Can you find a way to have a strong grip and loose wrists?
Can you think of any athletic movement that starts with tensed muscles?
Why is there such a focus on pre-event stretching in sports?
How important do you think grip strength was in Todd Frazier's infamous no-hands home run?

I don't think grip strength played any part in Todd Frazier's home run. Blackout contact doesn't require the bat to be anchored at one end. Well sure he needed grip strength to get that 99mph bat speed but grip strength didn't play a part really. I think I'm gonna write a letter to MLB and let the players know they don't need those Popeye forearms, will you sign it with me Monsters?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't think grip strength played any part in Todd Frazier's home run. Blackout contact doesn't require the bat to be anchored at one end. Well sure he needed grip strength to get that 99mph bat speed but grip strength didn't play a part really. I think I'm gonna write a letter to MLB and let the players know they don't need those Popeye forearms, will you sign it with me Monsters?

Those muscles are used to propel, not squeeze the bat. Batted ball distance is a principally a function of bat speed. A properly sequenced, tension-free swing produces max bat speed.

Why is it that a human can accelerate a whip to such velocity it breaks the sound barrier? And why can't we do the same with a rigid object?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I feel the hands, forearms (and upper arm and torso for that matter,) cranking the bat pretty aggressively at "go," then the wrists loosen--allowing the bat head to whip through the ball.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I feel the hands, forearms (and upper arm and torso for that matter,) cranking the bat pretty aggressively at "go," then the wrists loosen--allowing the bat head to whip through the ball.

Yes, there is a lot of force required to get a bat up to speed, but the surest way to kill bat (or golf club) speed (and ball exit speed and distance) is to use a tight grip.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

Disregard--I actually picked up a bat and found my hands and wrists didn't tighten as much as I thought at "go"...

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Im not sure if y'all watched the clip but TM def said stiff forearm and wrists to get around the corner. Ill try to find the time on the video.

I agree the wrists and fingers need to be loose and finish loose, but some where in the swing they get tight and move the bat through contact position. FFS used to call it FLAIL I believe.

Im currently struggling to get my 11 yr old tounderstand this portion of the swing. (Plus a couple others) But I swing the bat quite often and have learned how to "use my hands" better.

Thanks for the discussion between the experts, ex experts and the folks from Shinola. :)

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Disregard--I actually picked up a bat and found my hands wrists didn't tighten as much as I thought at go...

I don't swing a bat but if I did I would turn the corner with a soft supple loose not tight grip.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Im not sure if y'all watched the clip but TM def said stiff forearm and wrists to get around the corner. Ill try to find the time on the video.

I agree the wrists and fingers need to be loose and finish loose, but some where in the swing they get tight and move the bat through contact position. FFS used to call it FLAIL I believe.

Im currently struggling to get my 11 yr old tounderstand this portion of the swing. (Plus a couple others) But I swing the bat quite often and have learned how to "use my hands" better.

Thanks for the discussion between the experts, ex experts and the folks from Shinola. :)

This is from TM Blog:

this article is about the Second Engine itself. It is about the top gear shown above. The Second Engine has three elements to it. First, the Lateral Tilt of the torso. The second is the Triangle Turn (triangle formed by the forearms and chest). Third is the Forearm Rotation.

And a key to the movement is it has to be one move not three separate moves. And you do that by making sure all three moves are concentric....or....in parallel planes.
LATERAL TILT:

After a hitter coils his torso usually counter rotates a bit. Some barely. Others quite a bit. Both can be effective if you are working your Second Engine properly. If you care to discuss this feel free to message me. In either case, a little or a lot, the lateral tilt of the torso is SEEN as the lead shoulder working up and the rear shoulder working down. It is actually your fused torso working tilting over the back of the ball of your femur. It is done at the angle you are at after your coil. So, if you're a righty, and you coil, your shoulder line will be pointed toward the 2Bman to some degree. That is the line of your lateral tilt. You laterally tilt so as to maintain that direction as long as you can. That movement is done aggressively....all in. That is one of the most explosive things the body can do. It is an integral part of the launch.

TRIANGLE TURN:

The triangle is the relationship of your forearms to your chest.
Barry-Bonds.gif

The lead elbow works up. The rear elbow works down. At first Bonds triangle was pointed downward. Sun light rays would pass through it. At the end, he can almost look through it. It has been turned.

FOREARM ROTATION:

Forearm rotation is both supination of the rear forearm and pronation of the lead forearm. And this is an extremely important element. And many miss it. The forearms is where swing QUICKNESS comes from. It is THE SOURCE of swing quickness. The other elements of the Second Engine support....provide a platform....for the forearms to work.

SYNCING UP:

As mentioned above these three actions must turn in concentric or parallel planes. If they do, all three actions work on the barrel TOGETHER...directly....and that produces the body's maximum acceleration ability. IF one of the elements is working out of parallel then you have a wobble going on and your Second Engine is not work efficiently. Your barrel will drag and it will lose accuracy.

Another extremely critical point is the relationship of your rear elbow to the hands and chest. The angle of your rear forearm to your rear upper arm must be within a certain parameter. It must be somewhere between 90 degrees and 60 degrees (give or take....it's personal) It can't be more than 90. You are asking for trouble when it gets less than 60. Experiment with it. None of these numbers are given as hard fast numbers. They are given as a guideline. You'll be able to find YOUR spot when you execute the following. Establish the handset as just mentioned, then draw a visual line from your hands to your chest while in your handset. Another visual line, from your rear elbow forward will bisect that handtochest line. That line is critical. You must turn your Second Engine so that the elbow moves, is turned, forward ON THAT LINE extended. This is the power line. Generally speaking that line is parallel to your chest AT LAUNCH. However, the leg is going to turn the chest. YOU MUST MAINTAIN THAT LINE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY. You must swing 'out from' your body and not 'around' your body
MannySideIso.gif

Video-Clip-of-the-Swing-of-Manny-Ramirez.gif

His chest is being turned as the leg turns the torso. But his elbow stays on the power line for as long as possible. This is not disconnection. It would be disconnection if you had a spinal rotation swing. But high level hitters have a forearm axis. Manny is keeping his forearm axis turned barrel....on the line of the pitch....and not allowing his body to pull him off the ball.

This line must be maintained by the launch so that the energy developed from your lower gear reaches the barrel. I will fully acknowledge that a hitter might have to 'let out' a bit to get to an outside pitch. Or, 'pull in' a bit to get to an inside pitch. That's fine. But the launch itself must be done so that the elbow travels down that line initially.

The actions that create what I've described are quite simple.

Lateral tilt of the torso.
Adduction of the rear elbow.
Abduction of the lead elbow.
Supination of the rear forearm.
Pronation of the lead forearm.

You must avoid external rotation of the humerus.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

tumblr_oo26pv22Vz1usf292o1_400.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad