Kim Schuette resigns as Purdue softball coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just dayum....DD verballed to Purdue two years ago, and was scheduled to sign her NLI in November. Now we have no idea what is going to happen. Will the AD honor the 2017 verbals or will the new coaching staff pick and choose who they want? Should DD explore other options?

Kim Schuette resigns as Purdue softball coach | wlfi.com

Kim Schuette resigns as Purdue softball coach

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (Purdue Sports) — After three seasons at the helm of the Boilermaker program, Purdue head softball coach Kim Schuette has announced her resignation.

“I want to thank Purdue University for the opportunity to lead this program, where I have been able to enjoy amazing relationships with colleagues, support staff, alumni, fans, and most of all the student-athletes,” Schuette said. “The Greater Lafayette area has been a wonderful place for my family and I am proud to have added to the legacy of Purdue softball. I feel blessed to have worked with these players and love the profession of coaching. I look forward to my next chapter in this great game of softball.”

Under Schuette, the Boilermakers posted an 85-81-1 record (.512 winning percentage), including five wins over top 25 opponents. Her student-athletes were honored with nine All-Mideast Region, seven All-Big Ten, two Academic All-America, four Academic All-District and 34 Academic All-Big Ten accolades. Two of her players went on to play in the National Pro Fastpitch League.

Purdue finished sixth in the Big Ten Conference in 2014 and twice advanced to the conference tournament quarterfinals.

On March 5, 2016, Schuette earned her 300th Division I victory as Purdue defeated the College of Charleston.

“We thank Coach Schuette for her efforts in ushering our program into a new era with the opening of the Boilermaker Softball Stadium and for her help in reaching out in the community to bring in record numbers of fans the last two seasons,” said associate athletics director Calvin Williams, who oversees the softball program. “Her promotion of school spirit amongst our entire athletics staff, fans and the local softball community was contagious. We thank her for the impact she made on the Boilermakers and wish her and her family well in the future.”

Before coming to Purdue, Schuette was the head coach at Eastern Illinois from 2006 to 2013, compiling a 232-191-1 record. She led the Panthers to Ohio Valley Conference championships in 2011 and 2013 and a runner-up finish in 2012. Schuette was the OVC Coach of the Year in 2011 and 2013.

Prior to her time at Eastern Illinois, Schuette was the head coach at Quincy University in 2005 and an assistant coach at San Jose State from 2001 to 2004.

“Kim’s tenure at Purdue was highlighted by a handful of top 25 victories and the development of pitcher Lilly Fecho into a standout both nationally and in the Big Ten,” athletics director Morgan Burke said. “The honors her players earned the past three seasons as well as their community service efforts speak of a program of true student-athletes. We thank her for her dedication to our mission of developing champions, scholars and citizens.”

A national search will begin for Schuette’s replacement.

Oct 2, 2015
If your DD is good enough to be verballed two years ago, I don't think she'll have a hard time finding another school if it doesn't work out at Purdue...
Good luck!

Feb 17, 2015
USA
It could be a blessing in disguise. I would start sending out emails right away just so your DD could have some other options. Doesn't mean she still can't sign her NLI with Purdue this fall. It would just be nice to have some other options in case there is more going on behind the scenes that you don't know about. Good luck to your DD.

Mar 26, 2013
Just dayum....DD verballed to Purdue two years ago, and was scheduled to sign her NLI in November. Now we have no idea what is going to happen. Will the AD honor the 2017 verbals or will the new coaching staff pick and choose who they want? Should DD explore other options?
It's very late for the new coach to recruit 2017s, so your DD's future at Purdue most likely depends on whether they have other players/recruits they want to bring with them. It might also help if the pitching coach stays with the program.

Your DD should contact Schuette and any assistants that helped recruit her. They may want to bring her with them to their next school or know of schools that would be interested in her. Good luck and best wishes.

I'll bet Purdue hires a woman. Any takers?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's very late for the new coach to recruit 2017s, so your DD's future at Purdue most likely depends on whether they have other players/recruits they want to bring with them. It might also help if the pitching coach stays with the program.

Your DD should contact Schuette and any assistants that helped recruit her. They may want to bring her with them to their next school or know of schools that would be interested in her. Good luck and best wishes.

Sounds like good advice there.

Not that I know first-hand, but just makes sense that you're not going to be able to get many new 2017 players at this late stage to replace what you've got, and as long as you were a legit Big Ten player to begin with, you're going to be fine. Was talking yesterday with a player who just joined Virginia because of the new coach there, and she indicated that all the 2017 players' offers were honored.

Sure hope it works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi