Killing the Clock

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2010
We all understand the most logical way to win is to Hit, Catch, Throw and Run efficiently. However, occasionally the need arises to "kill the clock". I'd be interested in any "how to" discussions on this issue.

Dec 19, 2009
We all understand the most logical way to win is to Hit, Catch, Throw and Run efficiently. However, occasionally the need arises to "kill the clock". I'd be interested in any "how to" discussions on this issue.

Why? If you put a good team on the field why "kill the clock?" I saw it done in rec ball a lot but most I know consider it "bush leauge" to do it whether in rec or not. I realize some people think it is part of the game and viable tool I just think its hack.

Chris

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Look softball and baseball are strategic games. Killing the clock effectively is no different then picking up the opposing teams signals. I've done it and had it done to me. It's no big deal, it's all part of the game.

"How to's"
Switching pitchers will kill a few mins
if the catcher is coming up in the batting order, have her keep all her equipment on
batters take a couple of warm up swings before stepping into the box each time
tying shoelaces
calling time
if less than a min and 2 outs, make your batter take a few pitches

Apr 2, 2010
I can live with all of those as "part of the game", but tying shoe laces drives me crazy!

Some others:
calling time to get water to your pitcher/cather on a very hot day (a lot of those around here)
catcher/pitcher conference

I know I've seen more. When time is a factor, using the clock to your advantage is going to be a part of the game.

Mar 13, 2010
As an umpire, I'll do whatever I can within in the rules of the code we're playing under AND whatever league or tournament rules; plus direction I've been given by league or tournament officials regarding time limits to prevent this from happening. My responsibility out there is to keep things fair and level for both teams.
I think those type of actions by a team are unsporting and disrespectful to the other team and to the game of softball.

That being said, let me share a quick story from the tournament I worked this weekend. 1:20 time limit. 1:30 drop dead.
I'm PU. V team ahead 1-0 as we enter bottom of 6th. Both coaches are made aware of the fact that we have 9 min. left on the clock. V team gets right out there on defense. Tourney rules are 1 warmup pitch and throw it down. H team goes down 1-2-3 quickly. 6 min. left on clock as we got to top of 7th. H team hustles out on D, passes on the warmup, and the V team has their lead off batter in the on deck circle and ready to hit. This team did not do ONE SINGLE THING to eat up time or slow down the natural flow of the game. H team gets their 3 outs in the top of the 7th, and we're inside 1:18. H team gets a runner to 2nd in the bottom of the 7th , but does not score and loses 1-0.
The visitors played the game the right way, no BS time consuming antics, and won the game on their own merit. I was impressed with the coaching staff and players on the visiting team, and pleased to hear as my P and I were leaving the field, the home team telling the visiting team's coaches that they were a class act.
IMHO, that's the spirit in which the game should be played.
So now go ahead and continue on with the discussion telling us about the various strategies you and your coaching staffs have cleverly employed to "eat up time."

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
All due respect Fpump, but the visiting team has no advantage to stall the game when only ahead by one run. Knowing the home team would have a chance at bat. Drop dead I'm assuming a pool game. 1 warm up pitch is very uncommon, what sanction is this??

If we all want to cry a river then go to a set inning like HS, or most championship games. 2 very talented teams comes down to good coaching. Period.

A visiting team eating up 6 mins on a time limit, then 10 mins on a drop dead is dang near impossible, even for me. :) Unless your scoring about 10 runs. If my math is correct on your post.

USFA has adopted a 'no stalling' rule this year. If it is apparent to the ump that you are stalling he/she will stop the clock. So maybe more sanctions should follow suit.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
I think stalling is total BS. A team tried to do that to us a couple weeks ago and it backfired on them when we rallied with 2 outs and won the game in what they caused to be the final inning. Just play the game. The girls practice to play as many innings as they can.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
I think stalling is total BS. A team tried to do that to us a couple weeks ago and it backfired on them when we rallied with 2 outs and won the game in what they caused to be the final inning. Just play the game. The girls practice to play as many innings as they can.

I agree, stalling is bush league. We had a similar situation in a tourny game last week that was drop dead after 1 hr (due to rain, all games where shortened). We where down by 3 runs and not playing well. The opposing coach had two conferences with and changed pitchers twice and the SS (also coaches DD) had to tie her shoes twice in the last 10 minutes of the game. It was a site to see. I don't like timed games (this was an elimination game) for this reason.

Dec 19, 2009
As in most things it comes down to what are YOU trying to teach the girls you are coaching? That winning at all costs is the way to go even if you have to tweak the rules a bit to favor you? Do you really feel as good about a win when you stall as a win when you did it straight up? Every girl on that field and every parent in the stands knows what your doing when you do it so why even try to hide it or find new ways to do it? Maybe it's time to teach the girls a "Coach is Stalling" cheer they can break out. :)

On a side note stealing signs is a disgrace to the game pure and simple. I've had girls on my team do it and it's hard to prevent them from paying attention but if you as a coach are doing it and telling your players you should be ashamed.

Oct 18, 2009
I have to agree with Planoheat and fpump. Hate stalling of any kind, hate sign stealing......I think it IS cheating and sending the wrong message to our kids. My DD is a pitcher and I think if the girls can pick up on what the pitcher is throwing because she is "showing" them, more power to them (pitcher needs to work on that). Let the kids put their best foot forward and if it is not enough to win the game, then they know they have work to do. A smart coach is vital, but cheating is not the way to win the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00