KC Area (Johnson County KS)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2009
Hi all, this site has always been a great source of information and I thank you. The question I have is in regards to the Kansas City area, specifically the Johnson County Kansas area. There is a distinct possibility that we may be relocating to this area over the next month or two and was wondering about the softball opportunities there. My daughter is a 12U and we are wondering about the different levels from Rec to a little more advanced, she's not a superstar but has played some "B" level NSA stuff before. We've been doing internet searches but the information we've come up with has been sketchy at best. Thanks a bunch in advance for your help.

Mike

Jan 18, 2012
The KC area has GREAT ball at all levels. We play mostly USSSA and ASA, more ASA as the girls get older (14 and up). You can play ASA, obviously, at any level, but USSSA is still very big in the Midwest, so that is the most popular until girls want to start being seen by colleges. You can play at any level, of course. If you'll go to the USSSA website, click on fastpitch, teams, Kansas or Missouri, and the age group, you'll find all the teams. You'd want to look primarily on the Kansas link if you'll be in Kansas although at 12s there are still a lot of mixed teams (KS and MO). My daughter plays on a Kansas 12A team even though we live in Missouri. Let me know if I can help you! Again under USSSA, if you click on power ranking with the age group and state, you will see each team's record and ranking. KCfastpitch.com is also a great discussion board/posting for players, teams, etc.

May 6, 2009
Awesome, thanks a bunch, I knew I could count on this board. Hopefully, we'll have everything settled by the middle of February, hopefully that won't be too late to get her on a team.

Jun 4, 2010
A, A
KCfastpitch is a great website for the kc area. There are a lot of 12U teams looking right now with choices from quality "A" organizations to new teams making the jump to tournaments.

Apr 1, 2010
I agree with the others, check out KC Fastpitch.

You should be in good shape! :) Jo Co, Kansas is a hotbed of softball; they've got lots of teams, leagues, practice fields, indoor facilities, etc. Both ASA and USSSA have venues there and I doubt that there's a weekend during the season when there isn't a softball tournament somewhere in Johnson County. We also live in Missouri and our DD plays on a Kansas team (12U B).

Jun 18, 2010
We also live in Missouri and our DD plays on a Kansas team (12U B).

There is one thing to keep in mind, Missouri HS softball is played in the fall. Kansas HS softball is played in the spring. 1/3 of my DD's team are KS players, the other 2/3s are MO players. We are a 14U team now, and some of the girls on both sides of the state line want to play HS ball. This really limits our options playing together as a TB team. ...just something to think about as she gets older living in a community that shares a state line.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
There is one thing to keep in mind, Missouri HS softball is played in the fall. Kansas HS softball is played in the spring. 1/3 of my DD's team are KS players, the other 2/3s are MO players. We are a 14U team now, and some of the girls on both sides of the state line want to play HS ball. This really limits our options playing together as a TB team. ...just something to think about as she gets older living in a community that shares a state line.

Try and think through your daughter's next few years depending on which side of the river you might live on. The above is a very, very, valid point. Quite a few teams get set up that way for high school ball. There are plenty of teams on both sides of the river to check out, don't feel rushed.

Apr 1, 2010
Yep, thanks to both of you! I think we're fine for this year and next at 12U, but we may have to re-think at 14U. It's a long drive too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles