Just a little bragging

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
At the time of this picture she was 5'3" and about 85lbs. The bat is a 31 -13. So 18oz. This fall it was looking a little short so I measured her and she is 5'4 now. I'm thinking of a 32 inch bat in the spring unless she grows some more. As for the weight, I'm hoping she can go -11 or -10.

PA SB DAD, The tourney was in July in Readington, NJ and we played a Warren team. I expect we will see the Ace's this summer with her new team.

Nov 30, 2009
in response to your question this is what I see:

When the player pivots or squares to bunt, it is a sacrifice. If it was bunt for a hit, ther are better techniques imo.

Assuming it is a sacrifice,

I think her body is in good position, but I teach to have the bat at eye level, and arms extended but not locked.
The whole body goes down to the ball.
Bunt the top half of the ball,
only bunt strikes.
This means she only has to go one direction (down)
with the arms low like that, it is more difficult to see the ball in because she will have to triangulate.
With low hands and the bat closer to the body (what she is doing in the picture) she will have to go get the ball, causing it to be hit a little harder, and making it likely to drop the bat head causing a popup or foul ball.

Depending on the pitching she will be able to get away with what she is doing , but not against the best competition.

This is just free information. The techniques described come from a bunting video I got years ago from central Michigan's coach, Batting, Bunting and BAserunning, or something like that. They have been confirmed in my experiences as a coach.
Bud

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
in response to your question this is what I see:

When the player pivots or squares to bunt, it is a sacrifice. If it was bunt for a hit, ther are better techniques imo.

Assuming it is a sacrifice,

I think her body is in good position, but I teach to have the bat at eye level, and arms extended but not locked.
The whole body goes down to the ball.
Bunt the top half of the ball,
only bunt strikes.
This means she only has to go one direction (down)
with the arms low like that, it is more difficult to see the ball in because she will have to triangulate.
With low hands and the bat closer to the body (what she is doing in the picture) she will have to go get the ball, causing it to be hit a little harder, and making it likely to drop the bat head causing a popup or foul ball.

Bud

Well, she was the lead off batter so it wasn't meant to be a sacrifice. She was just getting comfortable bunting last summer. Since then I have worked with her and she now keeps her bat more at the top of the strike zone pulling back from anything above the bat and using the knees to get down. She usually pivots and squares during the windmill giving the infield a moment to react but not too much time. Since I'm not a professional I usually show what I know and when she masters that and is to the point I can't help her anymore I find someone that can. Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money. Last summer she saw some college players squaring to bunt and pulling back for a full swing. She liked that and has since tried it with some success with pitchers who take a long time to deliver. Thanks for the comments.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Inside: PA SB was spot on with The Aces. DD's team (NJ Sparks out of Morris County) had to play them a few times this past summer @12U. DD did have the opportunity to pitch against them and held her own, but the Aces were a very good team.

DD's team moved up as a team to 14U and did well in Fall ball against the other 1st year 14 U teams. They did get spanked in a few games by the 2nd year 14U's and 14's who were moving up to 16U in the SPRING.

Where are you from and what organization?

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
At the time of this picture she was 5'3" and about 85lbs. The bat is a 31 -13. So 18oz. This fall it was looking a little short so I measured her and she is 5'4 now. I'm thinking of a 32 inch bat in the spring unless she grows some more. As for the weight, I'm hoping she can go -11 or -10.

PA SB DAD, The tourney was in July in Readington, NJ and we played a Warren team. I expect we will see the Ace's this summer with her new team.

Thanks for the infos. Normally with such length and weight ratio (-13), is it power enough to drive the ball into outfield zone?

Jan 13, 2010
3'sDad and Inside Pitch.... I see you both are from NJ. My DD's team is playing in Newtown Rock Spring Classic on 4/9, curious if you will be there?

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Gregg99: DD's team did not set their Spring '11 schedule as yet. DD plays for the 14U NJ Sparks Red team out of Pequannock. The Sparks coach is also a high school varsity softball coach, so our events in April and May could be limited as the coach's high school team annually progresses deep into both the Morris County & NJ State tournaments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG