Jump or Stay the Course

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
Unless your DD is being abused or otherwise mistreated, I think you should honor your commitment and finish the season. After the season is over (typically end of July after nationals) then you should expore your options by having your DD attend multiple tryouts to see if there is a better fit. But I don't think you should leave now and leave your team short handed. Presumably they are counting on your DD. I don't think you should let them down.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Why does she no longer respond to head coach?

Its not because of anyone criticizing him is it? Children are very impressionable and the image of an adult can be ruined by another adult for that child.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I see no reason for the OP's DD to switch teams. IMO, team practices are intended to teach basic skills and help the team get better. Players serious about improving their individual skill sets need to put in the time and effort outside of team practice time. IMO its unrealistic to expect a HC to be able to provide high-level instruction for all aspects of the game. How many college or even pro teams don't have or use specialized coaches for pitching, hitting, infield, base running, catching, strength/conditioning, vision, mental preparation etc? Other than getting "good" instruction" from the HC, it sounds like the OP's situation is very good and she isn't getting forced to adopt poor techniques. Supplementing with outside coaching seems like the perfect solution for now. It will be time for a change when and if she reaches a point where the level of team play/competition is holding her back.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
IMO, you left out the first question I would want to know -- What does your daughter want to do?

You said she likes her coaches and teammates, but you didn't tell us how she felt about leaving or staying.

If she wants to stay, I'd let her stay.

If she wants to leave, I'd be very hesitant to look for another team if this team has already gone through tryouts and made roster decisions based on the assumption that your DD was going to be on the team. Unless there has been mistreatment or broken promises, I think it's better to keep the commitment. (This is assuming that it's a team that goes August to August. If it's a team that essentially begins in January, and the coach is calling to see who's in and who's not, then she's a free agent. My DD just left her team. But it was a January-to-January team.)

BucketLover

BucketLover
Jan 24, 2014
Just outside of the foul lines
IMO, you left out the first question I would want to know -- What does your daughter want to do?

You said she likes her coaches and teammates, but you didn't tell us how she felt about leaving or staying.

If she wants to stay, I'd let her stay.

If she wants to leave, I'd be very hesitant to look for another team if this team has already gone through tryouts and made roster decisions based on the assumption that your DD was going to be on the team. Unless there has been mistreatment or broken promises, I think it's better to keep the commitment. (This is assuming that it's a team that goes August to August. If it's a team that essentially begins in January, and the coach is calling to see who's in and who's not, then she's a free agent. My DD just left her team. But it was a January-to-January team.)

She is 12, I don't think she knows what she wants, I am an assistant coach on the team, which is another reason to stay, I understand that 100%. We are an August to August team.

I think part of the frustration comes from the fact that I'm paying almost $1000 to help coach my own kid and she doesn't respond to any one of the coaches except the ones that I pay additional money.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
What you describe is fairly typical. Most coaches are stronger in one area than another, the best of them will recognize it and either evolve or delegate to cover the weaknesses, but until you can find that rare coach, you might be better off looking around from where you are. Particularly having the relationships with the coach you have, I'd really hate to jump ship midseason.

If your coach came up from rec-ball but hasn't evolved, your DD has just outgrown him, it happens all the time.

If you are getting her the training you want outside, and she's not being held back, it becomes a financial decision.

Having conflicting information is typical as well, and as long as HC is not militant about doing things one way, you might decide to just let her get used to that experience as well. She'll be a lot more stubborn at 14, so earlier is better.

BucketLover

BucketLover
Jan 24, 2014
Just outside of the foul lines
Her outgrowing him is my biggest concern, he is a really good friend to me, like I said before our DD's spend a lot of time together, and she looks at the HC as almost a very close relative more than a coach and I think that's part of the reason for lack of response.

She'll be a lot more stubborn at 14, so earlier is better.

I don't even want to think about that!

Dec 28, 2011
I've been noticing girls on my DDs team "not responding" to AC's lately (they are dads, HC seems to get more respect). It seems that by age 14 or so, girls know more than coaches and don't want to be corrected or told what to do. When I see "attitude" from my daughter, I take her aside and let her know that this is not acceptable, coaches are giving their time for free and it will be appreciated. I would have a talk with her and let her know that you notice the change in her behavior (she may not even realize it).
Other than that, it seems that you have a great situation with your team. If everyone is getting along, you are head and shoulders above most teams. The grass is not usually greener elsewhere. Best of luck!

Oct 18, 2009
I would have my DD stay. Every coach has issues. If she is happy you should at least stick it out until the end of the season, then look for another team then.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
1) Is the HC doing anything that you know for a fact is contradictory to her PC's lesson covering basic skills? Not Strategy a that is up to the HC. I am speaking of basic skills form on fielding, throwing, hitting, fly balls, footwork, baserunning, pitching skills, catching skills, etc....

2) Could she not be listening any longer b/c you have had (which is sounds you have here) conversations with her about this? If opposing coaches know it sounds likes she knows your dissatisfaction.

3) Is your DD unhappy with the environment?

4) Did you guys sign up for a 1 year commitment?

5) Are any of the coaches verbally or mentally abusive in anyway to her?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole