It's Written in Her Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2010
As much I would like to take credit for the following, I certainly can't! This was a recent post from a softball dad on a fastpitch forum in KC that I thought was just too good not to share here as well and I'm hoping the author won't mind that I "lifted" his post over to this board! :cool: I hope you enjoy it (and reflect on what it means) as much as we did!

It's Written in Her Glove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran across my daughter’s old Wicked ball mitt while cleaning the garage. The thing was a rag, worn out with padding sticking out of the lacings. It prompted me to remember the countless hours we played catch: her in the circle in full sunshine, rain or snow, and me, as always, upon the bucket she bought for me when she got tired of hearing me whine about my knees.

As I held the limp mitt in my hands, I noticed she had written phrases on the fingers. She’d obviously written them to remind her of things she should be thinking of when pitching. The ink had all but worn off, but if you looked closely, you could make out the words. The familiar phrases read:

Shoulders back.

Finish the pitch.

POWER!

The only pitch that matters is the next pitch.

It got me thinking about just how useful were all of those years of chasing around the country, playing softball every weekend from March through August? There were lots of other ways we could have spent our time, and certainly a lot cheaper modes of entertainment.

Then it hit me: everything useful I wanted to teach my daughter about life was written on the fingers of her glove. No matter what life hands you, meet it head on, with shoulders back. Whatever you do, finish what you start. Give it all you have every time, using all of your power, to accomplish whatever goals you pursue. And remember, what happened yesterday means nothing when facing what you will do today.

Competitive softball is more than a game. It is a great way to connect with our daughters and to help mold them into the strong people we know they can become. For that, I am truly thankful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd