Issues with Developing Players to their Full Potential

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
My worst girls are the ones whose parents say, "As long as you're having fun, right?!" And then we'll proceed to get slaughtered again because that half of the team doesn't pull their weight.

Ok, that approach to 'having fun' was definitely not what I meant. I'm surprised people with that attitude lasted through 14U rec ball, let alone made it to travel ball. (On the other hand, if you manage to light even a little fire under those kids, you'll have done them a real favor, since their parent's low-achieving attitude is probably not limited to softball.)

I was more thinking along the lines that if girls don't care for each other they are less likely to hustle to back each other up. But it looks like that is not the case with your team. Your idea of showing them how it is done sounds like a good one. Also, have you told them explicitly what you expect, both in terms of hustle (e.g., no walking on the infield) and whether they are supposed to be working on their own outside practice? Some of the parents at least seem on a different wavelength.

Nov 29, 2009
That is another thing I did NOT mention-- there are no natural leaders on the team.

Here is what you do to combat that. Make each one of them take turns at being the team captain. What I do is have a "Day Captain." They rotate taking turns leading the team. The team captain is responsible for leading the warm-ups and organizing the players into groups and anything else the coach tells them to do.

This is done in uniform number order. That way the girls keep track of it themselves and you don't have to. It forces each one of them to step up. If something is not getting done in a timely manner the Day Captain hears about it.

The day is arbitrary. If a girl's turn comes up on a practice day that's it. If a girl's number comes up on a Saturday of a tournament that is it. There is no changing days "To be fair." It's shear chance that determines the duties. If a girl is late and it's her day to be Day Captain she loses it and it moves to the next girl in line. The same thing happens if she misses that day. There are no make-ups, she goes to the back of the line. I had a girl one year who missed all but one Day Captain day. Her dad was forever 10 minutes late to every team event.

Make a list of the duties of the Day Captain and make sure every player gets it. Then be consistent with it yourself. That is REAL key to everything. You need to be consistent with your handling of everything right from the start.

May 15, 2011
14U players not hustling

Since it is a travel team, replace the worst offenders one at a time. Everyone will either get the message or you will end up with better players.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Your situation is scary similar to the team I am coaching this season. Here is what I have discovered about my team. I'd bet it is similar to yours. First, my team is basically made up of rec all star players. They have never played the game at the speed that is needed to compete at a high level. The first couple tournaments, we got it handed to us by some really good teams. I am an extremely high intensity coach. That wasn't getting me the effect I had wanted. Reality is, we do not have a deep enough team to compete with the very best. One thing that the girls control is their effort. I started focusing on that piece. Explaining that each girl needs to expand the circle of play on defense. We work extremely hard in practice. Look at your players after a workout. They should be covered in dirt and sweat. Do you encourage diving for balls? Do you let them wear shorts to practice? Do you make baserunners slide in practice? I have started making them do pole's for some basic issues like missing a cutoff or not covering a base during a drill. Several players are starting to increase their game speed as a result. We are getting better. I do understand that we have played about 15 games so far, while our competition has been together for two years. Games will help the players get their speed and knowledge up. Create a short and long term goals for your team. Ours is to play well this weekend and to beat a local team that is very good, by the end of summer. You may lose a few players during the season. Keep your head up and control what you can control. Don't be afraid to bring in some talent to top grade your team. That will also generate more effort.

Jan 24, 2011
Your situation is scary similar to the team I am coaching this season. Here is what I have discovered about my team. I'd bet it is similar to yours. First, my team is basically made up of rec all star players. They have never played the game at the speed that is needed to compete at a high level. The first couple tournaments, we got it handed to us by some really good teams. I am an extremely high intensity coach. That wasn't getting me the effect I had wanted. Reality is, we do not have a deep enough team to compete with the very best. One thing that the girls control is their effort. I started focusing on that piece. Explaining that each girl needs to expand the circle of play on defense. We work extremely hard in practice. Look at your players after a workout. They should be covered in dirt and sweat. Do you encourage diving for balls? Do you let them wear shorts to practice? Do you make baserunners slide in practice? I have started making them do pole's for some basic issues like missing a cutoff or not covering a base during a drill. Several players are starting to increase their game speed as a result. We are getting better. I do understand that we have played about 15 games so far, while our competition has been together for two years. Games will help the players get their speed and knowledge up. Create a short and long term goals for your team. Ours is to play well this weekend and to beat a local team that is very good, by the end of summer. You may lose a few players during the season. Keep your head up and control what you can control. Don't be afraid to bring in some talent to top grade your team. That will also generate more effort.

Holy Crap !!! This sounds EXACTLY like my team. I have brought in two really good players this week to upgrade our talent and experience. A couple of parents arent happy about it , but they will just have to deal. If their DD's want playing time , they are now going to have to earn it. This is TB. Not everyone HAS to play in every game or tournament.

Oct 25, 2009
Holy Crap !!! This sounds EXACTLY like my team. I have brought in two really good players this week to upgrade our talent and experience. A couple of parents arent happy about it , but they will just have to deal. If their DD's want playing time , they are now going to have to earn it. This is TB. Not everyone HAS to play in every game or tournament.

Are those two players temps, guest players?

Oct 25, 2009
Tell 'em about how the team you're about to play has been talking about the sure win. Tell 'em what the other team has been saying about the team being scared. Start some rumors.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD plays 14U travel ball. Her club coach is the local high school varsity softball coach, who, year-after-year has a powerhouse school team, winning multiple county and State titles. 14U girls are not yet all high school girls, so the maturity level just insn't there on a consistant basis as yet, physically and mentally. They just forget to do things once told that older girls in high school remember.

The coach (female) gets all she can out of her team by being upbeat, energetic and thinking ahead of the opposition. There is no yelling or screaming if either a physical or mental error occurs. At the end of the half inning, coach calls the player over, and on-on-one explains what happened, what the mistake was and what should have occurred. The process is complete in 1 minute and on with the game.

I asked the coach why she instructs this way. In high school and college, she played for male coaches who were screamers and yellers. She vowed that if she ever went into coaching she would try never to yell and scream. To date this high school season, she has yelled at her team once, in a game the day following winning the county championship the previous evening under the lights. The change in character that one time had the intended impact on her team to wake them up as they were in danger of losing their 1st game of the season (currently 22-0-1).

Every girl that plays for this coach (high school, club, etc) gives 100% effort as they all enjoy playing for this woman as she respects and encouranges them to be their best.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00