Is this obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Just got home from calling a middle school game, and as all you cats who have watched middle school games, you know crazy things happen. A runner was on third base, the batter hit the ball into the outfield, absolutely no play at home. The runner at third is jogging home but the catcher was standing right in front of home plate on the third base side (certainly not intentional, this is middle school ball), so the runner just circled around the catcher and missed home plate, and she just went into the dugout. No appeal came from the fielding side, so run counted. Would you consider that obstruction since the catcher did not allow a clear path to the base, but if the runner paid attention, she would of touched the plate no problem.

Jun 7, 2019
Yes, I would definitely consider it obstruction. No different than when low level players have their 1st baseman standing on the bag with the batted ball in the OF and no chance of any play at 1st, so the low level batter runner just goes around the bag. Save yourself some trouble though and remember to call it and signal it. You want to be prepared just in case the defensive coach appeals the runner missing home plate.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Yes, I would definitely consider it obstruction. No different than when low level players have their 1st baseman standing on the bag with the batted ball in the OF and no chance of any play at 1st, so the low level batter runner just goes around the bag. Save yourself some trouble though and remember to call it and signal it. You want to be prepared just in case the defensive coach appeals the runner missing home plate.

It is unquestionably obstruction, but does that matter?

Does obstruction relieve the baserunner from the responsibility to touch Home?

If there was an appeal for missing Home in that situation, what's the call?

Jun 7, 2019
Does obstruction relieve the baserunner from the responsibility to touch Home?

If there was an appeal for missing Home in that situation, what's the call?

No, she is still obligated to touch home. Since obstruction is a delayed dead ball, nothing happens unless she is tagged out. She is protected between the two bases where the obstruction occurred. In my obstruction at 1B example, if she’s tagged out before reaching 2B, it’s a dead ball, and the runner is placed at the bag that - in the umpire’s opinion - the runner would have made had there been no obstruction. In the example here at home, if an appeal were to be made on the runner missing the plate, since she can not be called out between 3B and HP, she’d be safe and placed at 3B.

Apr 20, 2015
Why 3b if she would have been safe at home without obstruction can't the umpire award her home therefore relieving her of touching homeplate?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2019
Once she entered the dugout, she lost the right to go back and touch the plate. And since she couldn’t be called out between 3B and home, 3B is the only place to put her.

I will fully admit that I wouldn’t bet a thousand dollars on my answer. But I would bet that you’ll never see all of this 1) a catcher block the plate like that and 2) a runner completely run around her and head to the dugout w/out touching the plate bc 3) the ball is still out in the OF anywhere but in a very young, low level game. And if that’s the case, I’m pretty sure that it’s a good enough answer that the coach of that low level team won’t have any reason to question you. But, I’m still pretty sure I’m right.

Oct 11, 2018
Once she entered the dugout, she lost the right to go back and touch the plate. And since she couldn’t be called out between 3B and home, 3B is the only place to put her.

I will fully admit that I wouldn’t bet a thousand dollars on my answer. But I would bet that you’ll never see all of this
You would have lost that $1,000. Obstruction does protect her between 3rd and home UNLESS she commits specific infractions. One of those is missing a base, leaving early or committing interference. Even with Obstruction she is required to touch all bases in legal order. Had they appealed the correct call would have been to call the runner out

Aug 25, 2019

I will fully admit that I wouldn’t bet a thousand dollars on my answer. But I would bet that you’ll never see all of this 1) a catcher block the plate like that and 2) a runner completely run around her and head to the dugout w/out touching the plate bc 3) the ball is still out in the OF anywhere but in a very young, low level game. And if that’s the case, I’m pretty sure that it’s a good enough answer that the coach of that low level team won’t have any reason to question you. But, I’m still pretty sure I’m right.
Well you lost that bet because what you said is everything that happened. I didn’t call obstruction because the batter runner had plenty of time and opportunity to simply walk around the catcher and touch home plate, she made no attempt to do so. And if they appealed, she would be out. In fact, I heard a girl on the bench for the fielding team say that the runner missed home plate, but the coach didn’t listen to her, although the coach probably didn’t know how to appeal. Both coaches were coaching their first softball game ever, both are gym teachers who got roped into coaching, and one of the coaches (both female) never played softball. After that inning I commended that girl who saw the miss and I explained to the coach how to properly appeal (among other rules).

Jun 7, 2019
jackfrost and flash277

Thanks very much for the correction. Now that I had time to look it up, you are both quite right.

However, I know when I’m not certain, and that’s why I said, “I will fully admit that I wouldn’t bet a thousand dollars on my answer.” No money lost.

Thanks again for straightening out my incorrect answer!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA