Is there such a term as" swinging to hard "

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
Hello all

Since last I posted my daughter and have been working on that swing and using all the suggestions . But I noticed something at last nights game that may have helped me to help her. It seems like it to me that she swings to hard and by that I mean going for the fences.
But she is maintaining her mechanics during the swing and not pulling her head out and her lead and backs elbows look good.

Just seems its either a hard line drive/ bomb or strike out for her these days!! And I just dont know how to help her ....

I am confused if you would she her warming up w/ wiffles and live front toss you would not say this kid has a problem but something is not correct here...

Is there a difference between fast hands and hard swing.

Thanks
Justwannaplay

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
From memory, your daughter was swinging as if her lower body mechanics were removed from her swing. I seem to recall her keeping her front foot flat on the ground with virtually zero coil, gather, and/or negative move.

Against live pitching she will likely struggle with her timing. I don’t doubt that she is able to maintain her mechanics … and I don’t doubt that she can hit the ball with reasonable authority … what I question is if her ‘overall’ mechanics can be used effectively against top level pitching relative to her age bracket.

Apr 8, 2010
Fiveframe :

I have a recent video of her at the plate. I will post later. I know hitting off of machines are different but at home i use a pitching machine and use softball wiffle balls and they move everywhere and see is all over it. I just cant understand why she is struglling at the plate so many foul tips and then they catch her.
Besides hitting form, could a girl be nervous to perform and not show it and thats why ? I am not sure becasue I do tell her there is no pressure here just go and make some contact. i will post a recent video from last night at a game where she see foul tips twice. let me know what you think .....

Thanks

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Looking forward to the game video.

To answer your question ... some hitters do alter their mechanics in games. To be honest ... that is a topic I'd like to learn more about. Englishbey put out a paper on this describing the importance of not being 'results oriented' during an at-bat, and instead being 'process oriented'. Ideally, a hitter's orientation to an at-bat would be the same between their practice/BP at-bats and their game at-bats ... but not every hitter lives in the ideal world.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
241sbc3.gif

10fnnro.gif

Apr 8, 2010
thanks for the frame work... Should she be loading the back leg more? Di you see some hip rotation at all ? This is what she does off the Tee... Thanks

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
jwp, put your cursor at the top of your dd's head in the top clip FFS has provided. As she begins the unloading phase, she lifts up and then down. If I might suggest something to do in practice, have your dd try to center her weight more on the inside part of the back knee. Certainly not over the back knee. Have her put her bat on her shoulder. As you feed front toss, have her "sit" or flex that back knee slightly without straightening up or extending the front knee. Let her swing straighten her front knee and then flex it again based upon who her back hip action is. This would be the first thing I'd do with her in a lesson. BTW, with the neck swings, I'm taking out that hand/arm action and just concentrating on what is happening on the lower half. It as good of a place as any to start. Please note, I have not seen her live and so, naturally, I'd talk to her first and just throw some front toss so take this suggestion for what it is worth which might be very little.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA