Is there any alternative to an IR knee drive?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
DD basically sat out November and December (and just did physical therapy) to let her knee heal. She had been diagnosed with a medial menicus strain and patellar tendonitis. Her knee was feeling better and on Dec 29th, she had her first batting lesson in 2 months. After just one hour of batting (and that was at less than 100% effort) her knee is swollen and sore and she's hobbling around just like she was in November. She didn't even get the chance to start catching again. What a sad deal for her.

Do the experts here have any suggestions for her swing? She hits with a strong IR knee drive, but clearly her knee can't take that kind of torque anymore. She can hit to shallow/mid-outfield with her arms only, but that won't get the job done. She needs her lower body involved to hit farther. Are there any good ways she can get power from her lower body without putting stress on her right knee?

Perhaps we need to start preparing her for life without softball? I know it's not the end of the world, but she loves softball.

May 29, 2013
Have her try batting lefty. If she really wants it, and you/she/your doctor think it's ok it might be a great choice.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
First off, sorry to hear your daughter is dealing with knee issues. I know injuries are tough. Secondly, I'll let the hitting crew discuss the hitting mechanics, but how much strength training has she been able to do in the past two months? I don't mean PT, but a good strength program to build her up all around? My daughter is dealing w/ a shoulder issue, and I've been encouraged to get her strengthening the whole body, especially the core. Too early to discuss results, but she's really liking it so far. I'm hoping it will help prevent injuries down the road and help her smack a few balls a little harder this spring/summer.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yeager's way. Look at isobaseball dot com, or he has several youtube videos under isobaseball, and yeager baseball, maybe other.

He teaches stride, shift your weight, in a straight line toward the pitcher. The front leg blocks that straight line momentum and sends it up to open the hips. While I don't think it is the BEST way, he has worked with a lot of college softball teams and you could be successful following what he teaches.

Here…starting at 1:09, he explains how he believes in generating power.:

Jan 13, 2012
It sounds as though you're having her actively drive the knee down and in. I can't think of another reason that would cause that kind of injury.

Apr 1, 2010
It sounds as though you're having her actively drive the knee down and in. I can't think of another reason that would cause that kind of injury.

I'm pretty sure the initial injury occurred when a runner hit her knee on a play at the plate, but she just doesn't seem to be able to shake it.

Jan 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure the initial injury occurred when a runner hit her knee on a play at the plate, but she just doesn't seem to be able to shake it.

I was thinking hitting injuries only. Anyway, if she's having a lot of stress, it sounds like she's actively driving the knee down and in, which isn't what we want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi