Is there a place for tiny girls in softball 12u and beyond?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I too have a daughter that is projected to top out at 5'1". I think she was also 4'7" in spring of 1st year 12u, but was around 65 pounds. The best thing I can recommend is get her working on her strength. I started it with mine in 10u and it is paying dividends in 14u. Nothing is more fun than when the outfield moves up on her.
You mentioned that she is fast. Has she tried slapping? Though she should still be able to hit for power at her size too.
That’s fun stuff, bring the outfield and the 3B in, cause she may bunt ya know! ;)

I loved watching my fiver footer bat in the 3 or 4 hole on a 18U National team, and then watching the other coaches look at each other when she stepped into the box like “that’s got to be a mistake?” Until they saw her swing.....or watching the opposing 3B looking at their coach like, thanks for almost getting me killed!!

Jun 11, 2012
That’s fun stuff, bring the outfield and the 3B in, cause she may bunt ya know! ;)

I loved watching my fiver footer bat in the 3 or 4 hole on a 18U National team, and then watching the other coaches look at each other when she stepped into the box like “that’s got to be a mistake?” Until they saw her swing.....or watching the opposing 3B looking at their coach like, thanks for almost getting me killed!!
My DD’s nickname is Big Murph. There is absolutely nothing big about her physical appearance. The first time we play a new team they’d all look around confused.

Oct 4, 2018
I did? Personally I would worry a bit about some of these big 11 YO I see eating themselves out of the game by the time they get to 18’s...

You're not from the South.

Y'all doesn't me you. It means some of you, at least one of you. ;)

Now if I said "all y'all"... well that would include you.

Apr 20, 2015
Absolutely but it will also absolutely be harder. She will always have to prove herself more than someone that has the look. My DD is a freshman 5ft 5 and a 1/4 and you better believe that quarter is super important to her. I agree with the others that have said strength is very important. When you are small there is no room for mediocre you have to be dynamite.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
My daughter is tall and strong. But slow.

We've been shooed out of tryouts due to her speed. There are some coaches that just want a team of speedsters, just like AnnasDad has come across coaches that just want a team of big, strong girls.

And of course there are some 5-tool players that are big and strong and also fast. Sure wish mine was, but she is who she is and of course I love her bunches and she contributes to a team.

It's good that most coaches (I think) recognize that a successful team can have some slow girls and some small girls. As long as they are good players working hard to get better, there will be a team for them.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The SS on my DD's 18U team is 5'-1". She's a very good all-around ballplayer, with one of the best gloves my DD has played with.

2B is shorter.

Feb 22, 2021
My daughter is tall and strong. But slow.

We've been shooed out of tryouts due to her speed. There are some coaches that just want a team of speedsters, just like AnnasDad has come across coaches that just want a team of big, strong girls.

And of course there are some 5-tool players that are big and strong and also fast. Sure wish mine was, but she is who she is and of course I love her bunches and she contributes to a team.

It's good that most coaches (I think) recognize that a successful team can have some slow girls and some small girls. As long as they are good players working hard to get better, there will be a team for them.
We aren't to 12U yet but DD played on an 8U team and is on a 10U team now. She is always the smallest on the teams, but both coaches have said she is the most improved over the winter.
That is what I preach to her when DD gets down for being small. She has to accept the challenge of outworking every other girl out on that field.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414