Is it legal to steal second base if...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Also expect to get a long and strongly-worded message from the parent of the girl you sent back to 2B about how...
1) You're treating her unfairly.
2) You're a terrible coach.
3) Your decision has ruined her chances to play college ball.
4) All of the above.

🤪 😂

That's only for 12U. At 8U / 10U, they'll pull their kid off the team for not being "competitive". At 7U or younger, the parent will confront and threaten you physically.

At 14U, a few might grumble quietly. At 16U or above, several will applaud, and most won't even think anything negative.

Jun 8, 2016
That's only for 12U. At 8U / 10U, they'll pull their kid off the team for not being "competitive". At 7U or younger, the parent will confront and threaten you physically.

At 14U, a few might grumble quietly. At 16U or above, several will applaud, and most won't even think anything negative.
I am continuously grateful that those parents of 16U and above players choose to grace us with their presence on this board...

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Waiting for the folks who inevitably always argue with me about this ... ;)

They will tell you it is legal "because she didn't do it to confuse the defense or to make a travesty of the game."

I will tell you she's out.
Why would she be out? If she left the base and LBR was on, then yes. Just want to make sure I understand if this ever happens in a game I umpire in the future. It hasn't in the 18 years that I have umpired.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Why would she be out? If she left the base and LBR was on, then yes. Just want to make sure I understand if this ever happens in a game I umpire in the future. It hasn't in the 18 years that I have umpired.

If I am understanding his question right he's asking if the girl can go back to second from third base (steal back to second). Running the bases in reverse order is an out.

The only way he could send her back is to just call time and have her go back to second base.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
(Posts are coming fast and furious, this line was about Tball) Who now what is going to happen? DD will watch those games all day.

It is what it is. Kind of like the baseball player that hit a grand slam when he had the take sign. Lot of different options about that.

Kid scored when I told them to camp on 3rd, I was mad. Settled down and next practice I had them run a few laps. They were on the track team so only a light workout but made the point to entire Team.

May 29, 2015

I would tell you that all codes have a rule stating that a player cannot run the bases in reverse order. Usually the wording states the runner cannot do this in an effort to draw a play or to make a "travesty of the game". I would tell you the gray area of that rule is a poorly worded attempt at providing legitimate reasons to retreat (e.g., tagging up, missed base). I would tell you a player running the bases in reverse order with NO legitimate reason to be doing so is making a travesty of the game or trying to draw a play.

Those who disagree with me read the intent portion of the rule literally. They will tell you a player must be doing so with the specific intent the wording includes in order to be called out. They will tell you a player who retreats with no legitimate reason after legally acquiring a base can do so as long as she is just bored, dumb, or confused.

Think of this play ...

Runners on second and first base. The runner on second base steals third, but the runner on first missed her sign and stays put. Now there are runners on first and third. The coach is angry at the runner on first missing the sign, so he has the runner on third "steal second" on the next pitch and you let the play stand because "it doesn't hurt the defense." Now we are back to runners on first and second. On the next pitch, both runners break to steal. The catcher over-throws third base and fires the ball into left field ... both runners score. Does that sound legit to you? (I would say you just deprived the defense of an out AND gave the offense two runs.)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
She will be out if she goes backwards. Also, imo, a player plays until time is called. There will come a point in the play where the umpiring crew will initiate that time out but the play has to be stopped. BTW, I have seen good umpiring crews call time out on plays where it was obvious that a player was seriously hurt.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
They called timeout for DD when she was down, happy to see them do it. Not worth it for any of us. Would not bother me one second if it was for other Team.

Dec 11, 2010
Here is how you fix this:

Call time.
Talk to home plate ump. Tell him because of the injury you want to put your runner back on 2.
Home plate ump calls other coach and base ump over. Tells them what’s going on. Everyone understands that doing the right thing isn’t always in the rulebook and you fix what you want to fix.

You the coach put your runner back on 2 so both teams understand what’s going on. You tell your runner she did good but we are going back because of the injury. NBD, kid.

Easy Peasy and not Not Goofy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles