Is A Catchers Mitt Necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2012
Long Island
All of the other catchers on my team have a catchers mitt besides me. I always use my Nike Diamond Elite Edge 13". I really love this glove. Personally I don't really like using a catchers mitt, and find that I play better with the mitt I currently have. But I'm not sure, is it easier for pitchers to pitch to a catchers mitt? And does it make it easier when framing? Is it necessary that I eventually buy a catchers mitt if I don't feel I want one?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
All of the other catchers on my team have a catchers mitt besides me. I always use my Nike Diamond Elite Edge 13". I really love this glove. Personally I don't really like using a catchers mitt, and find that I play better with the mitt I currently have. But I'm not sure, is it easier for pitchers to pitch to a catchers mitt? And does it make it easier when framing? Is it necessary that I eventually buy a catchers mitt if I don't feel I want one?

As long as you give the pitcher a target, it doesn't matter what kind of glove you use. And, again, framing can be done properly with any type of mitt. As your pitchers begin to throw harder, the benefit of the extra padding in a catchers mitt will be appreciated by your hand.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida

I used a regular glove for years on my pitchers. With my DD, as she started throwing harder, the catcher's mit simply gives more protection. I don't know that it helps in framing or as a target. It is more for the catcher, I believe.

Mar 31, 2012
I think Williamsport rules require a catchers mitt. I know they do for baseball. Hard to catch with one but they provide more protection not only for hard pitches but for foul tips and hands-hit-by-bats

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Extra padding saves bruises and structurally they are designed
to better hold the pitch in leather. Fielder mitts' larger web will
in some cases (inside pitch) give too much causing a passed ball

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06