IP update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Just got back from the ASA Hall Of Fame Tournament in Oklahoma City. Lots of good teams (24) and I saw very few if any questionable pitchers. Certainly nothing flagrant. We can only hope it is a trend.

I know one of the umpires who worked that tournament and he posts on this board.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just got back from the ASA Hall Of Fame Tournament in Oklahoma City. Lots of good teams (24) and I saw very few if any questionable pitchers. Certainly nothing flagrant. We can only hope it is a trend.

I know one of the umpires who worked that tournament and he posts on this board.

The umpiring we had was pretty good. I just wish TD's would either rotate teams or better yet umpire crews between fields. We played 4 games including 3 straight on the same field with the same crew. Thankfully they did a good job. But it makes for a long day when you spend an afternoon with a bad crew.

I will say I have never seen better fields and and better field maintenance at any softball complex, anywhere.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
My 11 y/o DD got called for 3 IP's in the same game at our NSA State Tournament last weekend. Has only been called for one prior to that (took the ball out of the glove/put in back in/took it out). The reasons for these IP's:

1. Licked her fingers without wiping them off on her pants before touching the ball.
2. Drive foot not in contact with rubber during delivery
3. See #2

I totally put the blame on javasource for #2 and #3. It's his drill that taught her to use her legs (I call it the 100/100 drill). I'm sure OILF has my back on this. :p

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
My dd was called for taking a small step prior to pushoff. I think someone called it a gym step. She says she feels more powerful when she does it. The ump unofficially warned me a cpl times between innungs before he called it. She can fix it immediately but why fix it if they aren't gonna call it. I think it gives her the feel of a walking start.

Feb 7, 2013
My dd was called for taking a small step prior to pushoff....She can fix it immediately but why fix it if they aren't gonna call it. I think it gives her the feel of a walking start.

Because it's illegal and she has been called for it before and will be called for it again some time down the road. There is a reason we have a rulebook with several pages of pitching regulations.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
My 11 y/o DD got called for 3 IP's in the same game at our NSA State Tournament last weekend. Has only been called for one prior to that (took the ball out of the glove/put in back in/took it out). The reasons for these IP's:

1. Licked her fingers without wiping them off on her pants before touching the ball.
3. See #2

I totally put the blame on javasource for #2 and #3. It's his drill that taught her to use her legs (I call it the 100/100 drill). I'm sure OILF has my back on this. :p

Ughh... I totally forgot to post the 2-step lick drill...

1) bring 100% of your fingers, rearward, to your mouth
2) with 100% energy, transfer those fingers, forward... to your pants. ;)

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
Had a BU who was looking for what was his apparent holy grail of IP which was touching the ball with the glove during the windmill. If the glove brushed the ball usually between 3 o'clock and 12 o'clock then IP. Never called a leap, crow-hop or anything else and I know that 2 of our P did a little of both but no call. P gained absolutely no advantage that I could see but he was a fanatic on this call. The local teams knew this guy and seldom got called on it. I do get that it is an IP by the rulebook and the Ps were instructed as such but I just smh thinking about it.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina

3. See #2

Yeah, my DD got a warning and then called for IP doing almost the same thing a few weeks ago. It was a very hot day and took the ball out, put it back in the glove, wiped her hand on her uniform to dry it off, then took the ball back out.

In another game got called when she stopped her motion when the first base coach yelled out during her motion. She thought it was the blue by first base calling time. I told her you don't stop unless the plate umpire puts his hand up and calls time out.

Oh well, live and learn!

Feb 7, 2013
It won't be the end of the world.

Let's teach our youth the right way to play the game, and that means within the rules. I never bought into the argument that it's not illegal if you don't get caught. You know a quality person and player when they do the right thing when no one else is looking. That's the player I want on my team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole