Interference or obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This is taken directly from the 2008 ASA rules. So I ask again, when did they add the word intentionally?

View attachment 4101

Maybe you should try actually reading the rule you cited. It refers to a runner HIT by a deflected BATTED BALL. Below is the rule on a runner interfering with a fielder attempting to field a deflected ball (from the 2008 ASA rule book). Emphasis is mine:

Rule 8.7.J. When a runner interferes:
1. With a fielder attempting to field a batted fair ball or a foul fly ball, or
2. With a fielder attempting to throw the ball, or
3. With a thrown ball.
EFFECT: If this interference, in the umpire’s judgment is an attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the runner is put out, the immediate trailing runner shall also be called out.
4. Intentionally with any defensive player having the opportunity to make an out with the deflected batted ball.
EFFECT: The ball is dead and the runner is out. All other runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Cant answer exactly when, but it certainly is in the 2013 book, and I know its been in the last couple before that. Maybe its time to get a new book. The 2008 book is now 5 years old.

Thanks, Comp. I use the 2008 because it's the last pdf they offered and it's easy to search for what I'm looking for. I have the 2011-2013 hard copy rule books. For the most part, I can get by on the rule citations. I guess I'll cross reference from now on. ;)

MTR,

Thanks for the actual rule citation.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
FWIW....in HS play, this could be ruled interference.

F6 would be considered to be making the "initial play". the NFHS rule exempts the pitcher when referring to a batted ball that is deflected.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
FWIW....in HS play, this could be ruled interference.

F6 would be considered to be making the "initial play". the NFHS rule exempts the pitcher when referring to a batted ball that is deflected.

Yeah, I almost went off on that tangent. But I figured that since this was an 8U game, they most likely weren't using high school rules.

Personal opinion here: I don't like the NFHS exception. The pitcher is just as likely to change the ball's path as any other fielder, and the second fielder is just as likely to make a quick, unavoidable course correction to have to get it. If the theory is to cut the runner some slack on an interference call because the second fielder might make an unavoidable course change, what difference does it make who first deflected the ball?

Is a batted ball deflected by the pitcher going to take some special course that makes it any easier to predict than if the ball was deflected of a non-pitcher? :confused:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From the NCAA rules:

12.19.1.4.5 Interference occurs when the ball ricochets off one defensive player, and another player still has the opportunity to make a play, but the base runner intentionally interferes with the second fielder.​

So, different rule in college.

Mar 2, 2013
ART.3 . . .Initial Play. A fielder is considered to be making an initial play on a
fair batted ball when she:
a. Has a reasonable chance to gain control of a ground ball that no other field-
er (except the pitcher) has touched.
b. Has a reasonable chance to catch the ball in flight or catch the ball in flight
after it touches another fielder.
c. Fails to gain control of the batted ball and is within a step and a reach (in
any direction) of the spot of the initial contact.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Yeah, I almost went off on that tangent. But I figured that since this was an 8U game, they most likely weren't using high school rules.

Personal opinion here: I don't like the NFHS exception. The pitcher is just as likely to change the ball's path as any other fielder, and the second fielder is just as likely to make a quick, unavoidable course correction to have to get it. If the theory is to cut the runner some slack on an interference call because the second fielder might make an unavoidable course change, what difference does it make who first deflected the ball?

Is a batted ball deflected by the pitcher going to take some special course that makes it any easier to predict than if the ball was deflected of a non-pitcher? :confused:

I absolutely agree with your opinion....

Just thought I would throw the HS ruling out there since some places are still in HS playoffs and may have games going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand