Interference or obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
My team was on the field, there is a runner on second. Batter hits the ball in the air between pitcher and SS. Both move toward the ball at contact, pitcher tips ball as it goes by slightly changing the balls direction more toward SS. As SS attempts to field the ball, runner on 2nd runs into her. Runner advances to 3rd. Ump. (Who was new and terrible I might add) does not say anything. I call time and ask if that was interference. Ump has no clue. The other teams coach called it obstruction. I explain that my players glove was down about to field the ball and that should make it interference. Ump did not want to make a call, we were winning, and this was an 8u game so I let it go. Was I right or since the ball was first touched by the pitcher, would that have changed the call?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Since this was a deflected batted ball, the second fielder loses some of her protection from an interference call. When a second fielder is trying to field a deflected ball, it is interference only if the runner intentionally interferes with her. If that's not the case, then it is obstruction against the fielder.

Jun 22, 2008
The answer was already provided by Bretman, if the ball was deflected the interference has to be intentional.

Mar 2, 2013
It is neither interference nor obstruction. As stated, in order to have interference on a deflected ball, the interference must be intentional. However, it isn't obstruction either because the short stop was legitimately "in the act of fielding a batted ball."

Mar 2, 2013
Most, if not all, codes have said that interference on a deflected ball had to be intentional for at least 15 years.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Thanks everyone. The deflection was the biggest reason I did not argue since I was not sure if that made a difference and it obviously did.

Jun 22, 2008
This is taken directly from the 2008 ASA rules. So I ask again, when did they add the word intentionally?

View attachment 4101

Cant answer exactly when, but it certainly is in the 2013 book, and I know its been in the last couple before that. Maybe its time to get a new book. The 2008 book is now 5 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand