Interference or No Call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
This may be a "had to be there to see it" type scenario , but here is something that happened in our game this past weekend. Runner is on third base , one out. Batter hits a very weak popup (not much height on it) into foul territory on 3b side. As 3b runs across the line to try and make the play , the baserunner is trying to get back to the base and there is almost a collision between runner and 3b (the fielder stopped and side stepped to avoid the runner) , thus fielder didnt get to the ball and it drops. Should this be interference on the runner or just a no call?

Jun 22, 2008
Could very well be interference, but as you stated its a had to be there situation. Under ASA rules, if the umpire judged the ball to be catchable with normal effort, and also considered the runner to have interfered both the runner and batter would be out.

Jan 24, 2011
Could very well be interference, but as you stated its a had to be there situation. Under ASA rules, if the umpire judged the ball to be catchable with normal effort, and also considered the runner to have interfered both the runner and batter would be out.

I went out to talk to the umpire about it and he told me "the runner was just trying to get back to the bag and had no place to go". I knew I was screwed right then and just let it go. This was the same ump that earlier in the game changed a call (after the opposing coach complained) because "he just wasnt sure he got it right the first time":rolleyes:

Jun 22, 2008
Just trying to get back to the bag does not give the runner the right to interfere with a play on a batted ball. The runner must give way for the defense to make the play, unless the runner is in contact with the base, then it must be intentional.

Jan 24, 2011
Just trying to get back to the bag does not give the runner the right to interfere with a play on a batted ball. The runner must give way for the defense to make the play, unless the runner is in contact with the base, then it must be intentional.

This is was my argument , but I wasnt getting anywhere with it. So , I just dropped it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs