Interference on the batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There are some softball rule sets that call the baserunner out in some situations when a batter interferes with the catcher's play. So it's not a universal truth that the batter is always the one called out on batter interference.

Same is true for baseball. Which all just really serves to confuse a lot of people about which player should be out!

But...even if this game was played under one of those rule sets that calls the runner out, the above posted play isn't one of those situations where you would.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Speaking ASA

The batter's box has nothing to do with this. In or out of the BB, while the batter is not required to "freeze" or remain still, s/he is required to not interfere with the catcher's ability to attempt a play on a runner.

If the batter simply pulled the bat back and stood there, shouldn't be a problem. If the batter moved her bat or any part of her body in a manner which prevented or hindered the catcher, the ball should be declared dead, the batter ruled out and any runner must return to the base last touched at the time of the INT.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We had a situation last night that got the other coach and ump in a little face to face action. Our batter stepped back after a pitch because we had a runner steal to 3rd, upon catcher release to 3rd the ball slipped out her hand (playing in the rain). Batter is clearly out the way but the ball rolls under her feet and she is not aware of it because she was watching her team mate. Now catcher dives for the ball clipping the legs out from under our batter, no injuries or violent elbows thrown. Runner on 3rd tempted to round home but stopped half way because catcher did come back up with the ball, 1st was covering home, 3rd baseman was beside her and short was on the bag at 3rd...kind of stuck. She turned and dove back to third safe. No over throw or missed balls because of interference just a slipped ball rolling under batter's feet.

Call or no call? Ump had a no call, runner safe at 3rd and batter keep swinging. Other coach have a good reason to get fired up?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, he had a reason to get fired up...at his own catcher for blowing the play. If throwing the ball under the feet of the batter, who is clearly out of the way and not in line with the base, earned an out, then I'm going to start teaching my catchers to throw the ball under the batter's feet every time!

Mar 2, 2013
I'm no umpire... but its my understanding that the only time a batter must vacate the box is when there's a play at home. However, it boils down to the umpires perception as to weather he believed or not that it was an attempt by the batter to "get in the way intentionally" on the play. She did in this scenario, know exactly what was happening at the moment. I agree with this particular call.

Well, that about sums it up...

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm no umpire... but its my understanding that the only time a batter must vacate the box is when there's a play at home. However, it boils down to the umpires perception as to weather he believed or not that it was an attempt by the batter to "get in the way intentionally" on the play. She did in this scenario, know exactly what was happening at the moment. I agree with this particular call.

Well, that about sums it up...
Classy. Quality stuff here!

Mar 2, 2013
Based on some of the umpiring I have seen lately, there are some DFP members who are more qualified......

Though I can't say I really agree, I also can't say I have seen your umpires, so I certainly can appreciate the notion.

I think that is harmful when someone replies to a question on a regular basis and has to preface it with "I'm no umpire." Even if you aren't an umpire, if you are going to offer an opinion you expect people to respect, at least break the spine of the rule book.

Many people post because they believe that an umpire made an incorrect ruling on a field and they would like clarification/confirmation. So if your only real source of rules knowledge is from the same umpires that people complain about, that's doesn't really put someone in a credible position to offer opinions on rules.

It's one thing to state what happened in your game. It's another (and the proof is in the pudding) to offer an opinion with no valid foundation.

Mar 2, 2013
Classy. Quality stuff here!

Sorry. I guess I was beating around the bush.

Your interpretation is wrong. And it is wrong under every softball code. It makes no sense and is not supported by any rule. As explained, the call in this case was wrong and it was wrong for multiple reasons. For starters, the BATTER (she who interfered) is out, not the RUNNER. Second, this is not interference anyway. Third, the fact that you would "agree with this particular call" demonstrates poor rules knowledge.

I might not be an expert on rules in some people's eyes (though in other's I may be), I am qualified to offer an opinion. When those who aren't so qualified do anyway, others may actually believe them, which is detrimental to everyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00