Interference on the batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have a base runner on 2B, third base coach notices that the SS is not shading towards 3B to cover a steal, so he calls for the batter to take a pitch with a fake bunt and for the base runner to steal 3B. Batter squares, fake bunts and pulls the bat back for a called strike. Catcher attempts throw to F6 who is running to cover 3B. Ball hits the bat of the batter who was standing still in the batters box. Home plate umpire calls base runner out for interference on the batter.

I always thought that the batter had the right to stay in her position in the batters box and she had the bat resting on her shoulder after pulling back the fake bunt attempt. I thought our HC was going to get thrown out for arguing the call!

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
No box, circle, coaches box etc protects anyone at any time. Reasonable effort must be made and is the umpires discretion. Not appealable.

Jun 22, 2008
As long as the play is not at home plate, the batter is entitled to the batters box and as long as they are not actively hindering the catcher they are protected. If the batter is standing still, the catcher needs to clear the batter to make the throw. As with any call involving judgment, this is a had to be there situation, but as described Im not sure I see an interference call.

Reasonable effort must be made and is the umpires discretion.

Requiring what you are calling a reasonable effort can get the batter called for interference. ASA 7-6-P When hindering the catcher from catching or throwing the ball by stepping out of the batters box.

On steal attempts other than at home plate, the batter should stand still in the batters box.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm no umpire... but its my understanding that the only time a batter must vacate the box is when there's a play at home. However, it boils down to the umpires perception as to weather he believed or not that it was an attempt by the batter to "get in the way intentionally" on the play. She did in this scenario, know exactly what was happening at the moment. I agree with this particular call.

Jun 22, 2008
I just read the OP again, even if the umpire was correct in his ruling of interference (which I have already stated without seeing the play Im not sure, but based on description I dont have interference) he ruled incorrectly on the result of the interference call. The player committing the interference is out, not the runner. The batter should have been out for interference and the runner returned to 2nd base.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We have a base runner on 2B, third base coach notices that the SS is not shading towards 3B to cover a steal, so he calls for the batter to take a pitch with a fake bunt and for the base runner to steal 3B. Batter squares, fake bunts and pulls the bat back for a called strike. Catcher attempts throw to F6 who is running to cover 3B. Ball hits the bat of the batter who was standing still in the batters box. Home plate umpire calls base runner out for interference on the batter.

I always thought that the batter had the right to stay in her position in the batters box and she had the bat resting on her shoulder after pulling back the fake bunt attempt. I thought our HC was going to get thrown out for arguing the call!
The batter may have been standing still but what was the bat doing. That's such a bang bang play I can see how the batter would still be pulling the bat back as the catcher is throwing. I can't see how the batter would have time to rest the bat on her shoulder after a fake bunt and before the catcher throws

Mar 15, 2014
The umpire is wrong--both by calling interference and who he called out.
The batter's obligation, in this situation, is to stand still in the box.
A well trained catcher knows she has to come out and behind the batter in order to make the throw.
In fact, if the batter does step back to avoid the throw and interferes she will be called out.
In softball a call of BI is an automatic dead ball--batter is out and runners return.

I thought our HC was going to get thrown out for arguing the call!

I know the feeling--I once had the same umpire call my runner out not once but twice for BI in the same game.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013

Where was the bat positioned at? It is reasonable to assume the bat was stuck up in the air (above shoulder) for it to be hit by a thrown ball.

The resting on the shoulder part does not fly. She possibly stuck the bat up too high, the ball hit the bat, interference called. Judgement call, and reasonable.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I just read the OP again, even if the umpire was correct in his ruling of interference (which I have already stated without seeing the play Im not sure, but based on description I dont have interference) he ruled incorrectly on the result of the interference call. The player committing the interference is out, not the runner. The batter should have been out for interference and the runner returned to 2nd base.

There were already two outs in the inning, so the interference was the third out. I think they called the base runner out because the umpire said the batter who was called for interference should led off the next inning.

Jun 22, 2008
There were already two outs in the inning, so the interference was the third out. I think they called the base runner out because the umpire said the batter who was called for interference should led off the next inning.

Then he was wrong on his penalty. The interference by the batter and the out that should have been on the batter ended the inning and left a runner on base. The batter up the next inning should have been the batter following the one called out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00