Interference? Internet umpires whats your call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The ball hasn't even reached the catcher and the runner is already making contact. Sliding.
Are you saying you think it's okay where the catcher is standing in Harm's Way?
Or are you talking about obstruction rule?
( i am Not speaking about obstruction rules, think umpires would see that play differently than each other.
Rather me talking about paying attention to where our body is in proximity of sliding runners)

I thought you were talking obstruction. That's what I meant by "she's fine."

Jul 28, 2020
There was clear interference on the runner but many umpires will not call it, for the simple fact that it was at the plate. As a coach and spectator I have asked the umpires after the game "The excuse is they didn't see it". I also umpire I can see why one can say that but in this case the umpire was in good position to see it. IMO the runner should have been ejected and if the coach said anything about the ejection then he would be done for the tournament.

Jan 23, 2021
You and I see different things in regards to the catcher, was she positioned wrong at one point yes, but she moves out of the base path long before a runner approaches. The runner purposely slides into her to cause contact.
Not to speak for the prior response but the fact that when the ball is hit the catcher just stands up is the lazy part. The catcher doesn’t engage in the play until she takes off her helmet as she sees there may be a play coming her way (side note: keep the catcher helmet on to protect the head and throat on plays at the plate)

As for you initial question, I have nothing on this play until the catcher throws a knee as she goes to retrieve the ball. After that warning to the catcher, ejection of the player who removed batting helmet, restrict to dugout the player who dropped glove in preparation for a fight, restrict third base coach to dugout (possible ejection), defensive coach who came out on the field restricted to dugout. Quick meeting with available coaches to advise they need to control parents or coaches start getting tossed. Play ball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not to speak for the prior response but the fact that when the ball is hit the catcher just stands up is the lazy part. The catcher doesn’t engage in the play until she takes off her helmet as she sees there may be a play coming her way (side note: keep the catcher helmet on to protect the head and throat on plays at the plate)

As for you initial question, I have nothing on this play until the catcher throws a knee as she goes to retrieve the ball. After that warning to the catcher, ejection of the player who removed batting helmet, restrict to dugout the player who dropped glove in preparation for a fight, restrict third base coach to dugout (possible ejection), defensive coach who came out on the field restricted to dugout. Quick meeting with available coaches to advise they need to control parents or coaches start getting tossed. Play ball.
^^^^^ Absolutely!
I just reviewed the play again. Man, there is a lot of sloppy 18U softball going on out there. Sloppy umps, sloppy defense, sloppy base running, sloppy throw, and sloppy coach too.
First of all the ball should have been caught. I would expect a ball in the air for that long to be caught at 12U level. SS appears to want no part of it. I don't know how many outs there are but either way the baserunning is sloppy. Catcher's positioning without ball is poor. Throw home is weak. The slide in to home is far from textbook. Pitcher just watches the play unfold never leaving the circle. Coach coming in and pointing at the opposing players is stupid.
Choose your team wisely.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

You're seeing things, and this is complete overkill.

The catcher did not "throw a knee." She held up when the runner was in her way, then worked to get around her with minimal contact.

There's no need to restrict the coaches. Assuming there wasn't more after the video stopped, there were a few words exchanged for less than three seconds.

An umpire can get control of the situation without overreacting. This would be a massive overreaction.

I do agree with a quick coach meeting to tell everyone to get in line though. A situation like this can boil over. The best way to prevent that is the meeting, not handing out a bunch of punishment when really only one player did something wrong enough to deserve the ejection in the whole mess.

Aug 5, 2022
^^^^^ Absolutely!
I just reviewed the play again. Man, there is a lot of sloppy 18U softball going on out there. Sloppy umps, sloppy defense, sloppy base running, sloppy throw, and sloppy coach too.
First of all the ball should have been caught. I would expect a ball in the air for that long to be caught at 12U level. SS appears to want no part of it. I don't know how many outs there are but either way the baserunning is sloppy. Catcher's positioning without ball is poor. Throw home is weak. The slide in to home is far from textbook. Pitcher just watches the play unfold never leaving the circle. Coach coming in and pointing at the opposing players is stupid.
Choose your team wisely.

This 100%. I see a lot of slop in this play which causes pretty much all the problems. You summed it up well. Then add in teenagers and their inflated egos and all hell tries to break loose. There are always more problems the lower the skill of the players involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2015
On first look at the video without reading any comments I see a slide that happens to make contact with catcher but doesn’t appear malicious. Then, I see the catcher look down at runner and maliciously drive her knees into the runner while “going for the ball”. It was clear, intentional, and malicious in my opinion. Then the runner’s response to that is very aggressive. I would eject both for that.
Looking at the video again, I can see some likely attempt to make contact with the slide. Not clear enough for an out or ejection alone.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
I see a very lazy runner who hit a bomb, and an average catcher who doesn't control the infield. I see piss poor sportsmanship by the runner sliding into home and trying to knock the ball loose. Total and purposeful interference with the catcher. She purposely slides late and into the catcher when she had a clear path to the plate. If she hooked slides, she's safe by a mile. Also during her "slide", she pushes at the catcher with her hands. Not sure how the ump didn't see this. She's out for interference. Then ejected for trying to be a badass and tossing her helmet, wanting to fight. The catcher gets a warning for how she whipped her hand/glove around the runner. Then a meeting with the coaches to get control of the game.

Nov 6, 2019
Since I got all you looking at the thread. I need some assistance with my sons swing. He has ultra nationals try outs for his 2u prospects select gold team. Nap times, snacks and Paw patrol have really cut into his practice time.

Mar 10, 2020
On first look at the video without reading any comments I see a slide that happens to make contact with catcher but doesn’t appear malicious. Then, I see the catcher look down at runner and maliciously drive her knees into the runner while “going for the ball”. It was clear, intentional, and malicious in my opinion. Then the runner’s response to that is very aggressive. I would eject both for that.
Looking at the video again, I can see some likely attempt to make contact with the slide. Not clear enough for an out or ejection alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi