Interference? Internet umpires whats your call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2019
Well I am done talking about this play, its over and done with. My daughter wants to go play college ball. They told her she needed to start working on getting game film out there. Video editing is time consuming, and its hard to properly showcase pitching high lights. Here is her video from this weekend. Any tips, suggestions?

Aug 5, 2015
Well I am done talking about this play, its over and done with. My daughter wants to go play college ball. They told her she needed to start working on getting game film out there. Video editing is time consuming, and its hard to properly showcase pitching high lights. Here is her video from this weekend. Any tips, suggestions?

Too much down time in the hitting and fielding sections, title screens too long as well. Hitting should be longer than fielding section. And your daughter should watch this video.

Nov 6, 2019
Too much down time in the hitting and fielding sections, title screens too long as well. Hitting should be longer than fielding section. And your daughter should watch this video.

I removed some of the down time. The video was just a high lights of her Saturday tournament not a skills video. Hitting wise she went 2 for 5 so I didn't include 1 strike out a fielders choice and a line out.

Aug 5, 2015
I removed some of the down time. The video was just a high lights of her Saturday tournament not a skills video. Hitting wise she went 2 for 5 so I didn't include 1 strike out a fielders choice and a line out.

Yeah it's a lot better. I'd rather see the 2 hits + a lineout and the 2 best catches, unless all 4 catches are very difficult.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The runner's feet stayed in foul territory.

Catcher moved her leg and knee.
Into a position to either be prepared to take Collision or to help create it.

View attachment 26758
I see equal participation.

The catcher is two feet in front of home plate in fair territory. She's fine.

I don't have a huge problem with the play itself, though the runner was clearly trying to disrupt a potential catch and tag. Even if you have interference (which I don't since as is clear in this shot, the catcher wasn't really going to make a catch and tag here anyway), the play itself is fairly typical.

I'm more interested in the post-play activity.

I think you can let the small shove go with a warning as it's a heat of the moment thing where players get tangled (whenever I see these, I think "how would people react if boys were doing this?"). When she takes off her helmet and approaches the catcher looking like she's ready to fight, she has to go. By rule, does head coach get tossed if you toss a player in this situation?

I don't know that I'd toss #25 even though she tossed down her glove because she didn't really do anything, but there are warnings all around after this.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Haha, the baserunner is just not good. Jogging to 3B and then being surprised that the 3B coach sends her on a dumpy texas league'r.. The catcher leaves enough room and the runner is beating the ball to the plate.

Instead of getting as far away from the catchers mitt (ball) with a hook slide, runner chooses to initiate contact with her arms to the upper body of the catcher. Bush league because she goes back into fair territory and high on the catcher. Then to top it off, she gets all attitude-y when the catcher is trying to go to the ball after the play.

A big no on obstruction for me. I think in the moment it would be impossible to call interference on the runner, but that's what I see in slo mo. At least the hit on the catcher was not hard, she barely even budged. The squaring up and helmet throw was the most egregious part of the play.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

Yeah it's a lot better. I'd rather see the 2 hits + a lineout and the 2 best catches, unless all 4 catches are very difficult.

I think you need to only show video of excellent plays... Reference the 2-5 batting, show the best hit. On the best hit, which I think is the first one, please cut away before it shows the OF throwing the ball about 20' to the catchers left. You want the impression that a coach is watching excellent play.

Same for the catches, only show stuff that is in the excellent category.

On the pitching same thing. I don't think showing full at-bats is good. Show just the strike out pitches. I think the video showing individual pitches when the batter misses the ball by a ton and the catcher not catching strikes diminishes the perception of quality of play.

I'd do the best hit, the best catch, and all three strike out pitches and put it into a quick twitter post. Just my $0.02

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The catcher is two feet in front of home plate in fair territory. She's fine.
The ball hasn't even reached the catcher and the runner is already making contact. Sliding.
Are you saying you think it's okay where the catcher is standing in Harm's Way?
Or are you talking about obstruction rule?
( i am Not speaking about obstruction rules, think umpires would see that play differently than each other.
Rather me talking about paying attention to where our body is in proximity of sliding runners)

imo there is a better place for her to be standing than putting her leg in the way.
Easily could have been standing one two feet/ half stride farther away with the ball coming in.
She could have been taken completely out by the runner. She's fortunate it wasn't worse.

I don't have a huge problem with the play itself, though the runner was clearly trying to disrupt a potential catch and tag. Even if you have interference (which I don't since as is clear in this shot, the catcher wasn't really going to make a catch and tag here anyway), the play itself is fairly typical.
Agree and got repercussion from that potential catch and tag.
I'm more interested in the post-play activity.

I think you can let the small shove go with a warning as it's a heat of the moment thing where players get tangled (whenever I see these, I think "how would people react if boys were doing this?"). When she takes off her helmet and approaches the catcher looking like she's ready to fight, she has to go. By rule, does head coach get tossed if you toss a player in this situation?

I don't know that I'd toss #25 even though she tossed down her glove because she didn't really do anything, but there are warnings all around after this.
Snarky needs to go!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA