Interference? Internet umpires whats your call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2019
Perfect screen shot. Catchers foot and knee are on well inside of the base line. Runners legs and feet are on the outside of the base line and the hands and chest are on the inside of the base line.

Where does the baseline connect to the plate? Front corner, the runner had ample plate to slide into avoiding contact. What do the rules state about runners avoiding contact?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Don't know what some of you are looking at. The catcher is set up well in front of the plate to receive the ball. There is plenty of room for the runner, but she doesn't even slide. She actively works to strip the ball from the catcher. That's interference. She's then not only in the way of the catcher trying to retrieve the ball (more interference), she pushes her, then drops her helmet with a "let's go" posture. That's an ejection.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Perfect screen shot. Catchers foot and knee are on well inside of the base line. Runners legs and feet are on the outside of the base line and the hands and chest are on the inside of the base line.
Agree, positioning.
However active movement they were both involved.

Could have been a cleaner slide. Agree overly aggressive slide.
. And the catcher could have positioned herself not throwing her leg and knee into the situation. Even if she was in front of the Baseline, in the moment, the ball is still not there yet.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Agree, positioning.
However active movement they were both involved.

Could have been a cleaner slide. Agree overly aggressive slide.
. And the catcher could have positioned herself not throwing her leg and knee into the situation. Even if she was in front of the Baseline, in the moment, the ball is still not there yet.
And just to be clear I am talking about better mechanics to avoid this type of situation by the catcher.
The catcher is fortunate to not have had her entire leg taken out from under her.

Not officiating the moment. Umpires see things differently obviously the Umpire of that game did not call anything.

Nov 6, 2019
Not particularly, there was another ump watching that saw the slide in the moment the same way I did. Lots of the fans were calling the slide into the catcher interference, the umpire should have been able to catch that easily. She was ejected for the shove.

radness

Dec 13, 2019

The runner's feet stayed in foul territory.

Catcher moved her leg and knee.
Into a position to either be prepared to take Collision or to help create it.

View attachment 26758
I see equal participation.
I commented equal participation in this because in specific
the catchers body position and how she moved her body is detrimental to her maneuvering this play safely.
The way she participated created more of an obstacle than it had to be.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Not particularly, there was another ump watching that saw the slide in the moment the same way I did. Lots of the fans were calling the slide into the catcher interference, the umpire should have been able to catch that easily. She was ejected for the shove.
This is why I commented in my original post that umpires are going to see this differently.

While my comments may have not been favorable to some other posters 🙂
I was commenting on the participation of players body movements to share that perspective. Hope I made it clear in my previous post about catchers!
Enjoyed the conversation with you @wconn1979

Jun 8, 2016
Either the kid on third initially has the baserunning instincts of Willie Mays or she has no idea what she is doing. I know what I am going with..

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'll be slightly contrarian ... I have a clean play. If anything, my first thought was a potential obstruction on the catcher, but I think she moved soon enough even though she was set up completely blocking the plate for a moment. The slide did not appear overtly malicious to me. I'm even letting the tangle go, and possibly giving a warning on the slight shove.
Yep...I don't see anything but kids playing softball.

As soon as the helmet came off, I have an ejection on Dream Team #13.
As soon as the glove hit the ground and the player followed #13, I have an ejection Excel (?) #25.
Yep.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA