Interesting Obstruction in HS Championship Regional Game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
In the first minutes
[video]http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/sports/530-High-School-Scores-155861735.html[/video]

From KenutckyPreps.com
Runner going from first to third on a base hit made contact with SS. Umpire called obstruction. Girl continued to third base (where another runner was already standing), touched the base headed back to second and was tagged out. Umpires left the runner on third and gave the runner that was obstructed second. I'm guessing because the obstruction occurred before any of the rest of that mess and an obstructed runner cannot be called out between the two bases she was obstructed, they put her on second. (Please help me out if you interpret Rule 8 Section 4 Art. 3b differently)

That left bases loaded and Lone Oak down 3-4 with 2 outs. Next batter bounces one over 3rds head and LO scores the runners on third and second.

Another article explaining the game.

reidland.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
The video does not show what happened, nor does the article explain it. Both calling it interference, when it should actually be obstruction. If F6 obstructed the runner between 2nd and 3rd, and it was called, that runner cannot be put out between the 2 bases where they were obstructed. As much as the other coach may not like it, those are the rules.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If it were ASA, that runner would have been awarded 3B on the OBS and the runner on 3B would have been awarded home. Not sure about NFHS

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
As an umpire, the only thing I am sure about on this particular play is the following:

I've had coaches look at me EXACTLY just like that too after I've made a call.

Nov 10, 2010
A quick pause of the video shows the contact between SS and 2nd runner. A little iMovie action makes it clearer.

Mar 8, 2012
The runner should have been out at around the 27 second mark of the video. Both were on third at the same time. Plus she step on third so that should have cleared the obstruction, so the out should have mattered.

So I guess 2 outs on the same runner on the same play?

Jun 22, 2008
The runner should have been out at around the 27 second mark of the video. Both were on third at the same time. Plus she step on third so that should have cleared the obstruction, so the out should have mattered.

Runner should not have been out at the 27 second mark, nothing in the rules automatically declares a runner out for 2 occupying a base at the same time. The defense would have had to make a play in order for there to be an out.

Stepping on third does not cancel the obstruction. First, the runner could not legally occupy 3rd base, it was already occupied by the lead runner. Second, until the play is over, pitcher has ball in circle and playing action stops, obstruction is not cancelled. Until the play is over that runner is protected between the 2 bases where the obstruction occured.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

How about no outs on any runner?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad