Interesting Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Good points mark, you always have to be careful when you artificially stop what are supposed to be fluid, complete motions like hitting, throwing and fielding.

Are you saying a good swing wouldn't fit the drill because it stops rotation? It seems like Benyi's swing could be done in the drill for the first part, using the fix discussed here of turning with the hips. But then keeping the hand on the elbow prohibits rotation. In Benyi's swing her elbow rotates quite a ways by the time her hands would hit the second target in the drill.

So do you think the drill would be useful, or create bad habits and/or impart the wrong ideas in a young hitter's head? I am tempted by it because the loading of the hands, bat path and creating whip are things that so many novices struggle with.

Jan 25, 2011
I was just wondering?If maybe the coach was to stand more off to the side,instead of in front of the hitter if it would be more effective.I would think it would allow more of a true swing to develope,allowing the hips to on uncoil and letting the elbow and the hands,follow a true path to the ball.Rather then stopping them short.Just asking what others think,after going and watching the model threads of Benyi's swing and where her point of contact would be with the lead arm or elbow.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Coach Larabee wanted something to teach kids , beyond the Bam Bam drill. So I'm sure those in Arkansas might get a chance to see it in action. I can explain it to you if you like.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS - I see what you are saying. But , I will say, I know this particular hitter , and she absolutely hits the crap out of the ball. I guess , she has found a swing that works for her. There are actually a series of videos like this one that her Dad (and coach) have posted for their team. I would also like to hear your view on some of the others.

Cyclone ... I quickly viewed some of the other drills. In some of those drills this girl was able to use a much cleaner sequence. The implication is it is this specific drill that inhibits her swing sequence.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She may very well have a somewhat different swing in games. The swing in the video could be a result of trying to emphasize the main focus of the drill. She does look pretty good overall. Leading with the hips would make it better I believe.

She swung different than this in every other drill. This faulty behavior was reserved for this drill.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I came across this video today. I have never really seen this done. What do you guys think?

Bam Bam Drill - YouTube

This is similar to Epstein's "Short 3" position in his "Torque" and "Numbers" drills. In Epstein's drills the student starts with the bat against the deltoid. The student turns the upper body so that the chest is facing where the pitcher would be and pauses. From there they throw the hands out in front and finish the swing.

I prefer the way Epstein teaches it because the student doesn't have a person in front of them. Therefore when they throw the hands from the paused position they can go full speed thereby getting good extension and a proper follow through.

The Epstein version of the drill teaches hitters a tight hand path and how to lag the bat behind the hands. It also teaches the feel of how the hands work out in front of the body as the pinch between the forearm and bicep of the back arm releases into contact. It basically teaches the hard-push action that Ted Williams talks about in "The Science of Hitting". My daughter has done thousands of the Epstein version.

Or, you can skip all of that and teach the kids how to throw sidearm. Replace the ball with a bat and you should get the same action. The advantage of the sidearm throw method is that it's a dynamic drill without any pauses. It incorporates the coil, stretch, and throw all in one drill.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Good points mark, you always have to be careful when you artificially stop what are supposed to be fluid, complete motions like hitting, throwing and fielding.

Are you saying a good swing wouldn't fit the drill because it stops rotation? It seems like Benyi's swing could be done in the drill for the first part, using the fix discussed here of turning with the hips. But then keeping the hand on the elbow prohibits rotation. In Benyi's swing her elbow rotates quite a ways by the time her hands would hit the second target in the drill.

So do you think the drill would be useful, or create bad habits and/or impart the wrong ideas in a young hitter's head? I am tempted by it because the loading of the hands, bat path and creating whip are things that so many novices struggle with.

What I was saying is that it appears this drill has the hitter moving the elbow straight out in front and then trying to use the elbow to move (hinge) the hands forward. Just not what I see in swings such as Benyi. It appears the hitter even has trouble being able to perform the drill because it is unnatural. The elbow should rotate as the shoulders rotate. At the point the elbow goes forward towards the pitcher, it's way too early to unhinge. The result of this drill, as I see it being performed, will cause the hitter to either 1) try to move the elbow straight forward while it should be rotating around the corner, or 2) unhinge way too early.

I taught my DD proper front arm movement by tossing her tennis balls and having her backhand them lefthanded with a tennis racket. Kind of a one hand drill with a racket instead of a bat.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is similar to Epstein's "Short 3" position in his "Torque" and "Numbers" drills. In Epstein's drills the student starts with the bat against the deltoid. The student turns the upper body so that the chest is facing where the pitcher would be and pauses. From there they throw the hands out in front and finish the swing.

I prefer the way Epstein teaches it because the student doesn't have a person in front of them. Therefore when they throw the hands from the paused position they can go full speed thereby getting good extension and a proper follow through.

The Epstein version of the drill teaches hitters a tight hand path and how to lag the bat behind the hands. It also teaches the feel of how the hands work out in front of the body as the pinch between the forearm and bicep of the back arm releases into contact. It basically teaches the hard-push action that Ted Williams talks about in "The Science of Hitting". My daughter has done thousands of the Epstein version.

Or, you can skip all of that and teach the kids how to throw sidearm. Replace the ball with a bat and you should get the same action. The advantage of the sidearm throw method is that it's a dynamic drill without any pauses. It incorporates the coil, stretch, and throw all in one drill.

Wellphyt ... doesn't Epstein's drill start from a body torqued position ... whereas the drill shown here does not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy