Interesting audio book about Travel Softball by Michael Lewis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2016
btw, just finished the audio book. Stories sounded very familiar and was an entertaining listen. However, it did not make me glad we were never on the D1 recruiting level of madness or travel team. Regional team for good program worked just fine. The financial $'s he was discussing made ours look like chump change, although I sure you it was not.

Apr 20, 2015
I specifically started using my Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card to accumulate points for airfare. Never had to pay for any flights. I even bought DD's teammate's airfare so she could make the trip to ATL one tourney.
Ha ha me too!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
The other problem with the monetization of youth sports is that a lot of kids who parents don't have any spare money are left out.

The book did discuss this point.

He was proud of his daughter for being mature enough to recognize that she might not actually be playing against the best players because so many girls/families are priced out of high-level travel ball.

Mar 20, 2015
How do these showcases determine what teams play at the main locations? Just came back from a showcase and did not see one college coach at our location in two days but there were D1 coaches at the main location.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
How do these showcases determine what teams play at the main locations? Just came back from a showcase and did not see one college coach at our location in two days but there were D1 coaches at the main location.

Past history of the team/organization is the biggest factor in being placed on the main field. The teams that have a long history of being very good attract the college coaches to the showcases.

Oct 3, 2019
So, 13U Bandit families are expected to spend well over $20,000 a year per child for TB? Probably more when you throw in dues, uniforms, private lessons, gas money etc. How many families can afford this? How many are going broke chasing the pipe dream? By the time she graduates HS families with have spent over $100,000 per child. TB has pretty much left the middle class behind.
Seems well more than enough to pay for that college education they're chasing.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So, 13U Bandit families are expected to spend well over $20,000 a year per child for TB? Probably more when you throw in dues, uniforms, private lessons, gas money etc. How many families can afford this? How many are going broke chasing the pipe dream? By the time she graduates HS families with have spent over $100,000 per child. TB has pretty much left the middle class behind.
What's your solution?

Hard to get a grasp what this conversation is about. When there are so many things that people spend money on regardless of sports.
Look at the amount of people that spend money to go to college (no Sports) just go to college and create a massive pile of debt that they don't even go into the working career that they went to college for.
Or is that silly to just get an education and spend money on something that the person is not actually going to go out and work and earn money in that area?

There are a lot of people that live beyond their means. And there are people that want to live beyond their means and take on extra jobs.
Yep things are expensive.

Credit cards became a thing... in the mid 1900's
Women couldn't have their own credit card until 1974, how about that little gem...
Could you imagine if you couldnt...
Screenshot_20211114-071019_Chrome.jpg

Perhaps no credit for anyone would have controlled some pocket gouging....
Hmmmm 🤔 dont know not an economist #'s person.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
I don't know what people expect its travel ball...not town ball. The only difference in cost between and big time team vs a regional team is airfare and rental cars. Hotels and eating out are the same no matter what. We use a travel credit card for every day expenses to earn free flights. We share rental cars with teammates to cut costs. Is it more absolutely is it that much more....nope.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA