Interesting audio book about Travel Softball by Michael Lewis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
While I agree with what you are saying (especially stay to play), how hard is this to figure out? I get maybe the first year, if you are totally new to the situation, it might catch you by surprise, but after that it's on you. We do it because we want to dot it. It's fun. We enjoy it. I've never felt "fleeced" because I know what I'm signing up for. A scholarship isn't even something we actively think about. If it happens, it happens. I'll be way more excited than DD since I will get to watch more softball.

Being from the Midwest, I don't see many teams getting on a plane 8 or 9 times a year at 12 years old. There are a couple around St. Louis that travel more to play .PGF tournaments, but nothing like that. In fact, I don't think the Bandits at any age travel that extensively, so if your team is.....find a different team.
Bandits teams fly a couple of times in the fall and 3 or 4 in the summer at 13yo and older. 12s and below are more in control of their own schedule so if they are flying that much its up to them. Now individual players may fly more often depending on where they are from

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
She put in the recruiting work, and we did official and unofficial visits to 7-8 schools, and in the end she had a few offers to choose from... So far so good, and it appears she will get some good playing time as a freshman.

Congrats on finding a good fit! Out of curiosity, did you find that your DD was able to play in front of her target schools with limited travel, or did she rely mostly on communication and attending camps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2020
Thought this was a really good look at the travel softball scene and youth sports in general. Written by Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball, Blindside, The Big Short, and many many others.

It is only available as an audiobook but you can do a free trial to listen for free.

One sad note, his DD who he chronicles in the book died earlier this year in an auto accident.
Thanks for this. I'm already an Audible member so it was available to me for free. My daughter never really played travel ball and her main goal is to make and contribute to her high school team. Still interesting to see how much things have changed since I was her age.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Bandits teams fly a couple of times in the fall and 3 or 4 in the summer at 13yo and older. 12s and below are more in control of their own schedule so if they are flying that much its up to them. Now individual players may fly more often depending on where they are from

So, 13U Bandit families are expected to spend well over $20,000 a year per child for TB? Probably more when you throw in dues, uniforms, private lessons, gas money etc. How many families can afford this? How many are going broke chasing the pipe dream? By the time she graduates HS families with have spent over $100,000 per child. TB has pretty much left the middle class behind.

Apr 20, 2015
So, 13U Bandit families are expected to spend well over $20,000 a year per child for TB? Probably more when you throw in dues, uniforms, private lessons, gas money etc. How many families can afford this? How many are going broke chasing the pipe dream? By the time she graduates HS families with have spent over $100,000 per child. TB has pretty much left the middle class behind.
Well I definitely got better airfare than that...lol. I don't really consider the hotel cost and lessons since unless I played rec ball I would be paying those anyway. Fees are pretty comparable to other top organizations and more reasonable than some. So airfare costs me maybe 2k at most more than regular travel fees. Probably less when you consider that many many teams beyond top teams go to Colorado at 13u and above and many have a nationals that people fly to instead of drive. So really only 1 plane trip beyond the norm. It sounds bad on the surface but when you really think about it its not much more.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Thought this was a really good look at the travel softball scene and youth sports in general. Written by Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball, Blindside, The Big Short, and many many others.

It is only available as an audiobook but you can do a free trial to listen for free.

One sad note, his DD who he chronicles in the book died earlier this year in an auto accident.
Can't wait to read it. I'm sure I will agree with every word, if it is as advertised. It's a complete joke how much money is thrown away on youth sports (or more to the point, thrown at people who are taking advantage of the dreams of kids and the gullibility of parents).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There is absolutely zero reason for a 12u or even 14u team to travel out of So Cal to play ball. Maybe once or twice a year, preferable drivable destination, for the experience/fun is acceptable.

Yes...I doubt there is an any more densely packed softball population. It's the mine that the better softball schools pull at least a portion of their players from. At any age, if you live in any place that OTHER teams travel to for good competition, it's plain dumb to spend lots of time and money traveling somewhere else until you've exhausted everything that area offers.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Well I definitely got better airfare than that...lol. I don't really consider the hotel cost and lessons since unless I played rec ball I would be paying those anyway. Fees are pretty comparable to other top organizations and more reasonable than some. So airfare costs me maybe 2k at most more than regular travel fees. Probably less when you consider that many many teams beyond top teams go to Colorado at 13u and above and many have a nationals that people fly to instead of drive. So really only 1 plane trip beyond the norm. It sounds bad on the surface but when you really think about it its not much more.

I specifically started using my Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards card to accumulate points for airfare. Never had to pay for any flights. I even bought DD's teammate's airfare so she could make the trip to ATL one tourney.

Aug 29, 2016
Congrats on finding a good fit! Out of curiosity, did you find that your DD was able to play in front of her target schools with limited travel, or did she rely mostly on communication and attending camps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The school she is attending doesn't actually recruit/travel too much, so in this case, the primary factor was her interest in the school, frequent communication with the coaches and playing for the right organization. Coach did some calling around to her HS and Club coaches and was very good about watching video we submitted and games we streamed. For the other schools she got offered, it was more traditional recruiting (camps, invites to tourneys and 1 specific showcase). Its a great school, and has had a pretty good softball program so I think the reputation works to their advantage in terms of recruiting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619