Interacting with Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2010
So many good comments (and extended topics) from so many...

For the most part, over time, the good calls balance the bad calls. It's a numbers thing. Sure, there are officials out there that are "Hometown" officials, or biased against a team in a game, for various reasons. One reason can be in response to a coach's behavior. But again, it's a numbers thing. There are good and bad umpires. I think a super majority (99.34567...? % ) of umpires want to get the calls right. Those that are "Hometown" or biased for whatever reason are very very few in the grand scheme of things. AND, when a call doesn't go your way, your FIRST reaction and assumption should be that they are trying to get the call right.

Let all those calls be called and continue the game without a question. The only exception is if you truly believe they were out of position or missed something specific like a foot off the base (as mentioned in an earlier post). It is legitimate for those reasons only and then you can pose that question properly. Ask for time, ask for a conference, and then ask the umpire if they could check with their partner because you think the first baseman might have had their foot off the base. Something specific. But don't ask just to get a second opinion. And to question a ball/strike is not proper. They are in position. To question a close call that you didn't agree with is also improper if it is just because you saw it differently. The truth is, everyone COMPETING wants the close calls to go their way, they are biased, and they generally see it their way, period. That super majority of the umpires don't care.

As a coach, those are my guidelines. I rarely ask for a conference. I'm happy they are trying their best, just like my hitters are trying their best to hit.

Generally, umpires need to be in 'automatic' mode when calling balls and strikes, safes/outs, fair/foul etc.- NOT taking into account ANYTHING other than what the CALL is in and of itself. No score, no mood, no comments, no situation, nothing. Just make the call. To take into account anything else muddies the water and I think BretMan (and most people) will agree that the umpire needs to be (and usually is) above any of that.

As an umpire, those are my guidelines.

I like BretMan's summary and it's apparent, he gets it. We need more like him.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch