Indoor Batting practice advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Our U18 tournament team just had it's first practice of the fall and we had a couple problems .

We have a facility donated for our use by one of the parents, this is good. The problem is that we typically schedule two teams to practice at a time and the place is only big enough for one team.

Second, with only two coaches and multiple girls, I'm thinking we need to have the players more involved- like throwing soft toss for each other.

Does anyone have any suggestions for drills that the players can do while paired off so that two coaches can cover more ground and there is less down time ?
One of these girls drives an hour each way to practice, so I think it needs t be worth her while, not to mention everyone else!
Thanks!

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Set up three stations in cage. Soft toss , tee work and bunting with or without tee. It's gonna be tight. Then after everyone had gone up no more than 8 pitches in machine to each student.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I'm an odd duck. For indoor batting practice, I only want 3 or 4 there. I do a quick rotation with me doing pitching 20-25 feet out

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm an odd duck. For indoor batting practice, I only want 3 or 4 there.
yeah, me too! we did this last year and it resulted in the coaches not being able to spend enough time with the kids, the kids got bored and tended to sit around gabbing and texting.

I HATE texting- but we were spread too thin and I don't want that to happen again!

May 8, 2009
Florida
I handle two teams in a gym. You didnt write much about what equipment and space you have. We have two tunnels. I have a standard layout that set up 10 stations counting each tunnel as one. I will split one or both of the tunnels depending on the day. What I have found that works for me is to have a card posted at each station on what the drill is and what is should accomplish. Some drills are standard and the girls know what to do. Others we walk before the batting starts and discuss each one. It doesnt take long. There is a standard rotation of stations and the pairs either soft toss or set balls on the tee for their partner. Coa ches then set up at the "teaching" station, while one circulates to help out where they see issues.

Aug 6, 2013
Break them up in to smaller groups of 4 to 6 and have them come at staggered time First group at 12:45, Second at 1:45 (or whatever your time allotment is) while the first group is hitting the second group can be stretching - Both groups get an hour and get one coach for two or three girls - also - at 18U they can certainly load the tee, do soft toss and front toss for each other - that way the coaches can walk around and help one on one.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think at night, you would run out of time too quickly. I mean, they have a lot of home work, probably. So, it seems that most have to be there at the same time. Just so they are not wasting time, you are fine. One group could do push ups, etc., I think.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414