Improving leg drive..ideas and suggestions welcomed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
One of our training...we also use bands that goes around my gym rack(it is bolted into the ground. I also just picked up a version of the trx but much cheaper at play it again sports. https://youtu.be/ieiPDPd_WxU Since it is off season, we do a lot of single arm, leg movement...trying to improve the strength on her left side...she has a noticeable difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
One of our training...we also use bands that goes around my gym rack(it is bolted into the ground. I also just picked up a version of the trx but much cheaper at play it again sports. https://youtu.be/ieiPDPd_WxU Since it is off season, we do a lot of single arm, leg movement...trying to improve the strength on her left side...she has a noticeable difference.

Coach Dos from College of Canyons does some good things with a simple workout program. A lot of unilateral stuff. TRX and other things. Also, can do a lot of his stuff with body weight.
Strenth coach of the year a few years back.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
The thing is, DH refuses to do these because he says, "they are illegal in a game. He says why over exaggerate something that you have to change."

Interesting... in contrast: Why try to increase your 1 RM when weight training? Or... why do walk-throughs? Or... why use weighted balls?

The answer to both questions is adaptation. If we practice within a set of boundaries, our body becomes quite comfortable and those boundary lines become much thicker.

The coach wants speed. 100% of them do... this is no surprise. And it's obvious that the coach views the lower body as a foundation... which it is. Out of curiosity, if the coach recommended a drill for her to improve the lower body that was "illegal", would DH give in?

Anyway... I would offer this:

To maximize the efficiency at which we throw the ball, our sport requires an explosive generation of power in an absurdly quick amount of time. As such our training efforts need to be balanced between strength and speed. This is often referred to as the static spring continuum. Look it up if you're not familiar with it... but you'll immediately discover, as will DH, that we cannot limit our training to what we are comfortable with. Powerlifting is awesome, but it's merely one side of that continuum.

In pitching, once we've generated that incredible burst of power / speed, the timing and quality at which we leverage resistance, determine the output. In other words, power and speed are absolutely useless without great timing... like timing of trigger, like timing of resistance, like quality of whip, and with something that I'm sure will resonate with DH... a very fast twitch response capability.

When you look at what the push back or two step drills are designed for... hopefully it will become more obvious to him that it's less about the rules and more about developing a well-timed fast-twitch explosion off the ground... so that when it comes to leveraging that power there is more to Leverage... thus increasing the athletes output. As it relates to training, your coach is asking your DD to improve the quality of rate of force development (RFD)on both the beginning and end of the pitch. Meaning... get off the plate quicker... and resist quicker... so you have more to Leverage when whipping the ball.

With all due respect... this journey is more about your DD's experience at this stage of the game.

Best to your family, ~JS

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Interesting... in contrast: Why try to increase your 1 RM when weight training? Or... why do walk-throughs? Or... why use weighted balls?

The answer to both questions is adaptation. If we practice within a set of boundaries, our body becomes quite comfortable and those boundary lines become much thicker.

The coach wants speed. 100% of them do... this is no surprise. And it's obvious that the coach views the lower body as a foundation... which it is. Out of curiosity, if the coach recommended a drill for her to improve the lower body that was "illegal", would DH give in?

Anyway... I would offer this:

To maximize the efficiency at which we throw the ball, our sport requires an explosive generation of power in an absurdly quick amount of time. As such our training efforts need to be balanced between strength and speed. This is often referred to as the static spring continuum. Look it up if you're not familiar with it... but you'll immediately discover, as will DH, that we cannot limit our training to what we are comfortable with. Powerlifting is awesome, but it's merely one side of that continuum.

In pitching, once we've generated that incredible burst of power / speed, the timing and quality at which we leverage resistance, determine the output. In other words, power and speed are absolutely useless without great timing... like timing of trigger, like timing of resistance, like quality of whip, and with something that I'm sure will resonate with DH... a very fast twitch response capability.

When you look at what the push back or two step drills are designed for... hopefully it will become more obvious to him that it's less about the rules and more about developing a well-timed fast-twitch explosion off the ground... so that when it comes to leveraging that power there is more to Leverage... thus increasing the athletes output. As it relates to training, your coach is asking your DD to improve the quality of rate of force development (RFD)on both the beginning and end of the pitch. Meaning... get off the plate quicker... and resist quicker... so you have more to Leverage when whipping the ball.

With all due respect... this journey is more about your DD's experience at this stage of the game.

Best to your family, ~JS
Thank you.
I think somehow when I approached the idea of using these drills, it isn't communicated in a manner that make sense to DH.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Thank you.
I think somehow when I approached the idea of using these drills, it isn't communicated in a manner that make sense to DH.

While 2 step and push back drills didn’t make sense to DH, D understood the reasoning behind these drill. Look what we got with the foot work at the beginning of the pitch, results was a clear speed increase. What I loved was seeing that seemed to click. It just finish raining when D all of sudden got this urge to go try something. She wouldn’t tell us but she was excited about something. This is what D wanted to try.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2uRoIZu7c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Crystal,

I think your DD has made great strides and have appreciated watching her videos and progress over the years. Sounds like you all are getting so close chasing her dream and congrats to your DD and family!
I am likely not going to present much help when it comes to drive but I will throw it out there regardless as you never know when someone may point out something that may help......

Crystal Brown DD Pitching.JPG
InkedCrystal Brown DD Pitching foot zoom_LI.jpg

Her right foot pushes off then is completely flat pointing to 2nd (maybe not that far so call between 2nd and 3rd). It appears she gathers all her weight again on the right foot and then proceeds to finish her pitch. I see this rather than the strong push toe drag mechanics that many elite pitchers use. With that said, there are plenty of pitchers out there with similar mechanics to you DD that do very well.:D

I hope it helps!

S3

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Crystal,

I think your DD has made great strides and have appreciated watching her videos and progress over the years. Sounds like you all are getting so close chasing her dream and congrats to your DD and family!
I am likely not going to present much help when it comes to drive but I will throw it out there regardless as you never know when someone may point out something that may help......

View attachment 12643
View attachment 12644

Her right foot pushes off then is completely flat pointing to 2nd (maybe not that far so call between 2nd and 3rd). It appears she gathers all her weight again on the right foot and then proceeds to finish her pitch. I see this rather than the strong push toe drag mechanics that many elite pitchers use. With that said, there are plenty of pitchers out there with similar mechanics to you DD that do very well.:D

I hope it helps!

S3

I think you have brought up a great point and have been a debate in our house. One of the areas that we spent a lot of time on correcting was this. At one point, we had a great drag. While her drag looked great, her speed went down. Maybe someone with more experience will have a better understand on what and why this is returning. I don't know if it was from when she originally learned to pitch where she was taught to twist open. With throwing a lot of rise balls and drop curves, this habit has returned(being more open in these pitches). Which she is throwing her drop curve in this video. It does create a replant, not as bad as some pitchers but still there. Some things to note, she is flat footed and have a tendency to turn her hips in. Could this be a way for her to self correct these weaknesses? I don't know but it is a good question. Speed wise, it does seem to help her. Her fastest pitch is the rise ball with her drop curve and fastball at the same speed.
Where the debate comes in is when watching someone like Barnhill with this same tendency plays at such a high level without being called for the replant(I think her foot turn is even more than D's). It is not seen as a flaw when it isn't being called. DH spotted this and figured since Barnhill does it, then it is fine if D does as well. This is where the debate happens. 5930414a84d9a.image.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles