I'm throwing normally in warm ups, but I mess up in the drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2011
I don't understand how I'm throwing just fine when I'm warming up with my softball partner, and then in the practice drills I tend to make errors. Was I maybe just having a bad day? Well actually I'm not consistent with my throwing...When I make a throw, I try to get it out of my glove fast. Am I making errors because I get nervous around my teammates? Is that normal?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Going into throwing slumps is not uncommon, usually they are more mental than physical. To try and break players out of this I have them concentrate on 1 part of their throwing mechanics or have them change something slightly.

If throwing is an Issue I might have them work on a prefect crow hop, ball spins perfectly when it leaves their hand, point their glove at target, etc. What they specifically work on can be irrelevant. Concentrate on 1 thing; get your head out of the way,

If getting the ball out of the glove quickly is not working for you switch it slightly, maybe work on getting your fingers on the seams of the ball. Make sure you do this 1 thing right, feel the seams on your finger tips. Do not worry about the results; just feel the ball coming off you finger tips as you throw the ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would love to see video of your OH throw and specifically your footwork.

Search for a DVD by Howard Kobata, he is the guy for fielding drills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish