Illegal Substitution

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
USSSA rules...

#11 hits reaches first and is pinch ran for by #7. Inning ends. #11 goes back out on defense the next half inning without being reported. First batter up hits a ball to #11 and she fields it and throws the batter out at 1B. What is the penalty, if any?

Jun 22, 2008
As stated, an unreported substitution is not an illegal substitution. Looks like by USSSA rules the penalty for first offense is a team warning, second offense is ejection of head coach. Other than that, no other penalties I see.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
As stated, an unreported substitution is not an illegal substitution. Looks like by USSSA rules the penalty for first offense is a team warning, second offense is ejection of head coach. Other than that, no other penalties I see.

That's what I thought. However, the runner was allowed to be put back on 1B. I knew that wasn't right, thanks guys.

Now to confuse the situation a little, #7 wasn't even on the lineup card. Now that is an Illegal substitution, correct? And the penalty for that is?

Jun 22, 2008
That's what I thought. However, the runner was allowed to be put back on 1B. I knew that wasn't right, thanks guys.

Now to confuse the situation a little, #7 wasn't even on the lineup card. Now that is an Illegal substitution, correct? And the penalty for that is?

Even under ASA rules the runner would not have been placed on 1st. Under ASA if an unreported sub makes a play on defense and is discovered, the offensive coach gets the choice of the result of the play or return the batter to bat with the previous count.

As for not being on the lineup card, still doesnt make it an illegal sub. While the coach should have listed all the players on the lineup card at the start of the game, players can be added to the lineup card later.

Mar 26, 2013
Along with all prior play standing, the lineup is updated with the unreported substitution.

That's okay as long as it was treated as an additional substitution, #7 was eligible to re-enter and #11 was not allowed to re-enter again afterward.

USSSA refers to an illegal substitution as "Illegal Player."

Sec 7. ILLEGAL PLAYER is a player who enters the line–up without the right to an offensive or defensive position. Examples of an Illegal player(s), but not limited to, are:
A. Starter and/or substitute who re-enters in an incorrect batting position.
B. Starter and/or substitute who re-enters a second time.
C. Using a player to pitch who was removed from the pitching position because of Rule 4 Sec 8 A “Penalty”.

The use of an illegal player is handled as a protest that can be made at any time, while the player is in the game. A player will not violate the illegal player provision until he/she enters the game and one (1) pitch is thrown. Any action before one pitch is thrown is correctable.
PENALTY: An illegal player violation results in the immediate ejection of the illegal player and his/her coach. In addition, the following penalties will apply:
A. If the illegal player has completed a turn at bat and before the next pitch, the illegal player is called out. Any advance by any runner as a result of the illegal player becoming a batter-runner is nullified. Any additional outs recorded on the play stand.
B. If the illegal player has made a defensive play and before the next pitch (or the defensive team or the Umpires have left the field), the offensive
team has the option of 1) the result of the play or 2) replaying the last pitch.
NOTE: The illegal player can be legally replaced by any eligible substitute.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad