Illegal Substitution?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In a game over the weekend (ASA Tournament) the other coach sent in a courtesy runner for his catcher. I noticed that the player he put in was already in the game and not one of his listed subs, so I called time and talked to the plate Umpire. I had to explain it about 3 times before the umpire understood it, then he went over and talked to the other coach who was from Canada where they just use the last out as a courtesy runner.

they switched runners, but wasn't there supposed to be an out? I didn't have time to look it up at the time and now I'm in work and can't look it up.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
Barring any local tourney exceptions- USSSA runner is decared out and team warning is given, HC is ejected on second offense. ASA runner is disqualified.

Jul 10, 2013
Here is the problem, when playing in a invitational tournament the host team can set up there own rules. which can look like this
1)During pool play you may bat all players
2)During pool play you may use a bench player or last batted out for a courtesy runner -- thus the confusion
3)During the tournament all teams have to use a courtesy runner for the catcher with 2 outs
So you can see if you play in enough tournaments there is a lot of confusion when it comes to these rules. The correct answer for a ASA tournament like State, National's or qualifiers is NO BENCH PLAYER NO COURTESY RUNNER there is "no last batted out"

Jun 22, 2008
Ran into tons of these kinds of things this past weekend at western nationals. This is what happens when local leagues dumb down the rules. The coaches at lower age levels and rec levels are learning every bit as much as the kids are. When you bat entire lineups, allow free substitutions, use last out as courtesy runners etc the coaches never learn how to manage their lineups properly. Then they get to nationals and have no idea what the actual rules are.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Ran into tons of these kinds of things this past weekend at western nationals. This is what happens when local leagues dumb down the rules. The coaches at lower age levels and rec levels are learning every bit as much as the kids are. When you bat entire lineups, allow free substitutions, use last out as courtesy runners etc the coaches never learn how to manage their lineups properly. Then they get to nationals and have no idea what the actual rules are.

Not everyone is going to Nationals or even wants to. Tournaments that are qualifiers should all use the same rules that Nationals are going to be played under but most of the "house" rules at tournaments are to get more girls more playing time or speed up the game w/o undue delay.

I agree if you are going to nationals, you darn well better know the rules because if you don't the coach you are playing against probably does.

Jul 28, 2008
Not everyone is going to Nationals or even wants to. Tournaments that are qualifiers should all use the same rules that Nationals are going to be played under but most of the "house" rules at tournaments are to get more girls more playing time or speed up the game w/o undue delay.

I agree if you are going to nationals, you darn well better know the rules because if you don't the coach you are playing against probably does.

All JO qualifiers that I have ever coached in go strictly by the rule book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs