Illegal Pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
The rule also states the foot only has to be in contact with the pitching plate at the beginning of the pitch. If the foot is touching the pitching plate at that start of the pitch, the pitcher is considered to be pushing off from the pitching plate.

It doesnt matter what rule set, even if the pitcher has their heel on top of the pitching plate, as soon as they rock the foot to deliver the heel has lost contact and by your definition the pitcher would be pushing off from a spot other than the pitching plate.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
The rule also states the foot only has to be in contact with the pitching plate at the beginning of the pitch. If the foot is touching the pitching plate at that start of the pitch, the pitcher is considered to be pushing off from the pitching plate.

It doesnt matter what rule set, even if the pitcher has their heel on top of the pitching plate, as soon as they rock the foot to deliver the heel has lost contact and by your definition the pitcher would be pushing off from a spot other than the pitching plate.

The bold part, is this something that is in a case-book or taught in the ASA umpire's clinic?

As for the 2nd part, it isn't my definition, it's ASA's. I quoted directly from the rulebook.

With that said, I teach my daughter to place her heel on the plate. I also tell her that she may get called for an IP, but until then pitch this way. I firmly believe that it's stretching the rule, but most umpires will not get that nit-picky. I'm surprised that the umpire did call it in the OP, but he has the rule to back him up. If her heel has lost contact and she pushed off from a place other than the plate, it's illegal. The rule is straight forward.

Jun 22, 2008
Now quote directly from the rule book where it states the foot must be in contact with the pitching plate at the start of the pitch. You are taking one section of the rule and attempting to treat it as a stand alone rule. The pitcher only has to start with the foot touching, if she starts that way she is considered to be pushing off from the pitching plate.

No I do not know of any rules clarification or case book that addresses it, and yes it is something that is covered in umpire clinics.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Last night, the home plate umpire came over after the first half of the first inning of a 12u game to let HC and I know that my DD was pitching illegally (he didn't call an IP and said that he wasn't going to call one on her, but wanted to let us know that others will call it going forward). She is RH and starts with her right heel touching the front of the pitching plate and the left foot touching the back of the plate. Her right foot is in contact with the plate at the start of her motion and does not move forward prior to pushing off.

He said the pitches become illegal once she gets ready to push off and the heel comes up and loses contact with the plate. The next inning, she adjusted by starting with her foot on the plate and he didn't have any further issues.

My question is this, is it illegal? She has never been called for an IP before - but that doesn't mean that what she is doing is correct. What do you think?

A few misstatements here, but as long as her pivot foot maintains contact UNTIL she pushes off FROM the pitcher's plate, she should be good. Some pitchers develop a bad habit of sliding that pivot foot off the PP to push off and that is illegal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie