I need a straight answer on this...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2012
A, A
My understanding is there have been several things in this thread that were wrong.
1 the runner can use any part of the base, the orange part is for avoiding a collision, but not required to be used.
2 the orange part of the base is for the runner only. if the defense uses the orange part of the base, it is viewed as if no tag to the base. ( if you think about this compared to a first base without the orange half the defense would be not be touching the base at all just dirt)
3 a runner can run outside the base line anytime they want, theonly exception is to avoid a tag, when they can go out 3 feet or less.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My understanding is there have been several things in this thread that were wrong.
1 the runner can use any part of the base, the orange part is for avoiding a collision, but not required to be used.
2 the orange part of the base is for the runner only. if the defense uses the orange part of the base, it is viewed as if no tag to the base. ( if you think about this compared to a first base without the orange half the defense would be not be touching the base at all just dirt)
3 a runner can run outside the base line anytime they want, theonly exception is to avoid a tag, when they can go out 3 feet or less.

Speaking of wrong.

Speaking ASA/NFHS

When there is a play, and ONLY when there is a play on the BR is s/he REQUIRED to use the orange part of the base unless the throw is coming from the foul side of the 1BL or an errant throw has drawn the defender into foul territory. In the two exceptions noted, the defender and runner MAY use either portion of the base.

A runner AND defender may use either portion of the base at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles