I must be nuts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I know, which is why I was trying to get a read on the going rate in Australia for preferential scoring so that I can make an informed decision as to whether I should move there or not.

Haha. It does depend on the scorer. The person I'm learning from is harsher on her own son than I would be. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen of course. For national games each team has a scorer then there's the official scorer which is where the stats come from. You can appeal their decision though, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Seriously, scoring must be done objectively and consistently or else the resulting stats are of no use. While its easy to use and interpret your own scoring system, it does become more of a challenge if you need to use a system that can be understood universally. And even more challenging if you're trying to document pitch-by-pitch results (i.e., P1 - FB ball, P2- FB missed swinging strike, P3 - CU fouled straight back, etc)

We have the same symbols for that though.

P1 - not sure what you mean by that
P2 - there would be an x (if called, there would be a c)
P3 - F2 (foul, closest fielder)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sorry, my shorthand P1 = pitch one, P2 is second pitch etc.

Does your team have you or someone else also chart or graph pitches (i.e., pitch, location, result)? At higher levels in BB here it's often done by the next game's starting pitcher from behind the plate and is very useful

Mar 13, 2010
Sorry, my shorthand P1 = pitch one, P2 is second pitch etc.

Does your team have you or someone else also chart or graph pitches (i.e., pitch, location, result)? At higher levels in BB here it's often done by the next game's starting pitcher from behind the plate and is very useful

Depends on the level. Higher levels definitely. (and I e done it before) lower levels generally not.

Sorry for P1 it would be scored as a dot. Unless you're charting pitches :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi