I love this game!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
3 hour practice Friday for my oldest (11), followed by a two hour practice for the young one (7) on Saturday, then two 3 hour clinics today. It was the warmest day of the year, and all the kids wanted to take it easy. I Had to push the oldest one to go to the clinic and give her the lesson on what "voluntary" really means :) then watched her have a great time out there. After ice cream, we came home to a totally unexpected email from her hitting coach (who has left the area for her career) urging us to give her an update. That's when my DD gets that huge grin, realizes she now has something to talk about, and be proud to have worked through the heat. Maybe that lesson about working hard all the time and not just when you feel perfect is starting to get through.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Nice story.
Saturday for us was decent 50° but very windy. Sunday was 22° and hold on to something winds. (Neighbors houses lost shingles and siding) All I wanna do is get outside! :(

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Rain, wind, cold. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

We were rained out again yesterday. Another RR scheduled this upcoming weekend and guess what - more rain forecasted. Usually nice during the week and things turns ugly on Saturday. Hate this weather pattern.

Feb 21, 2012
Our county closed all the fields on Saturday which was the best day of the year. So we went to a cage and hit. Then yesterday (and into last night) we got snow and I'm watching the plows now on my street.
I'm wondering how long it will take now for the fields to reopen after our 6 inches of snow.

I am very envious of those with warm weather, enjoy it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Living in Florida I love to tell everyone up North how we are dealing with the heat while they are snowed in. Well Karama can really suck. Tomorrow I find out if I will be working for 6 - 9 months in Minot, North Dakota. :eek:

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
I take this too seriously, its been a long winter, 17 degrees outside. The DD's worked hard all winter 3-4 days at indoor facilities plus basement work. Both U10 and U14 looked improved, The eldest worked on pitching mechanics all winter, faced first live batters in months Sunday (indoors) and reverted back to last years footwork/drive issues, she has been decent in the cage, and against the other pitcher looked very defensive. Didn't say anything about the pitching (coach worked with her), did suggest she should be thinking swing every pitch. She came home from school yesterday, looking devastated and states "I don't think I can do hitting tonight" and runs to her room. I'm thinking all winter and one rough practice pushed her over the edge, She settles down and confides that she wants to go to batting badly, but every teacher assigned her homework and she has two exams scheduled for today. We pushed softball off a day and it looked like the weight of the world was lifted off her shoulders. She was up til 10 doing academics. She is driving us all nuts counting down the days to school tryout, which I'm sure will be indoors.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I've had it with winter. It's either freezing cold and snowing or it looks nice out but is so windy and cold that the cold just seeps into your bones.

Kudos to all of the high school girls who are participating in school sports and their clubs during the toughest point, academically, in the entire school year. DD is a sophomore and it's all starting to pile on - projects, mid-terms, followed by the big push towards final exams, studying for SAT subject tests - she'll probably take the chemistry one in May. As an aside - did you know that you can get 8 questions wrong out of 85 and still get an 800? You can get 20 wrong and get a 710. Just something to make your DD feel a little bit better about things if she's stressing about the subject tests (at least for chemistry).

Anyway - it's a roller coaster, but it's the little successes that make it all worth it!! DD's team played this past weekend - they had one game where they could do no wrong. Everything went right, from defense to hitting. All of us parents were sitting more or less together, from both teams. A girl from the opposing team hit a deep fly ball to right field. I watched our right fielder get into position and settle under the ball. A dad from the other team said "damn it" before our girl had even caught the ball (she caught it). It made me realize how far these girls progress from when they first start out (where a deep fly to RF would be a home run) to seasoned high school age players.

EGH - great story - kudos to your daughters for putting in the hard work and seeing the results :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi