HS Sports vs. Travel Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If I recall, Iowa correctly, the softball season is May, June and July.

Iowa is the polar opposite of SoCal. It is more important to the girls to represent their schools and communities than some nondescript travel program. So, everyone plays HS softball and no one plays TB.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C8-B5cyfK6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jan 31, 2011
If I recall, Iowa correctly, the softball season is May, June and July.

Iowa is the polar opposite of SoCal. It is more important to the girls to represent their schools and communities than some nondescript travel program. So, everyone plays HS softball and no one plays TB.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C8-B5cyfK6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And all of the colleges pass Iowa girls by...We are trying to break that bad reputation! Our TB club is determined to get the great Iowa players in front of college coaches.

Check out:Eastern Iowa Barracudas Fastpitch Softball | Facebook

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I would think playing HS ball in the sumemr months would benefit Iowa. Biggest complaint about HS ball is that it usually is played the same season as college teams, so they can't watch you play.

Oct 25, 2009
This one is pretty simple. If she committed to her HS then she plays on that team. The TB team is a club level team and quite frankly ALL school activities come before club ball. If you are not ready to commit to your school then don't go out for the team.

That says it all! And that's not a slight to TB! Most TB organizations in our area respect that.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
I would think playing HS ball in the sumemr months would benefit Iowa. Biggest complaint about HS ball is that it usually is played the same season as college teams, so they can't watch you play.

Biggest complaint about HS softball is that a coach has to go to one game and watch two teams play. In TB....they can go to many many games in one day and watch many many teams (players) play. A lot more bang for the buck.

Jan 24, 2009
Are players chained by their travel coaches in some sort of indentured servitude, or are the players and families the coaches' customers?

I assume this is rhetorical, so nothing personal here...'Customers' suggests a cancerous mindset. There is a reason that a coach wants a commitment, not a 'customer.' That reason is the team goals and the obligation to the other ten players and families. As one of those families, I feel obliged to not let the other players down and I want to expect that from the other committed players. Therefore, I expect the coach to expect a level of commitment beyond an a'la carte, selfish 'customer' relationship.

we do what we want to do, whether the travel coach likes it or not; we can go to another travel team.

More cancer. Really consider whether you want any kid to have this mentality.
...I do what I want to do, whether my travel coach likes it or not.
...I do what I want to do, whether my teachers like it or not.
...I do what I want to do, whether my employer likes it or not.
...I do what I want to do, whether my parents like it or not.
There is a lot of "I" here and a lot of room to teach a kid to be part of something bigger than "me."

This stuff can and should be worked out before the commitment is made. Get it spelled out in writing if you must, but don't accept a commitment only to reneg on us all later.

As to the OP, if DD committed to a 'team first' showcase team, then she committed to it. Rec/school soccer will be there next year. Have the conversation with the coach and he will respect her backbone/commitment and will give her a shot in future years.

Best wishes,
VW

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2009
Loyalty to the team is not built by having control freaks for coaches (ie, if you don't go to my pitching clinic, you don't pitch, from the other thread for example), who make unreasonable demands because they were never taught to coach, are not humble enough to know they don't know everything, and put (often) their own daughters so-called college team or play-all-the-time aspirations ahead of the team. These type of coaches think they are professional coaches from watching TV, but instead they are full of anxiety about proving their worth through the kids' performance, hence having to control every aspect of the kids' lives.

lol, this is sounding more and more like failure to do a little due diligenge BEFORE signing to play. I can't think of a single showcase team coach who doesn't have some sort of track record and plenty of parents/players who can be consulted as to how unreasonable he/she is or how clueless he/she is as a coach. By HS aged showcase level, I would expect that the parent/player is seasoned enough to know how to get the info and...

I'd rather see players/parents do their homework. There is some responsibility for the coach do do a little homework on the player also. It should raise some eyebrows if a player has been on 5 teams in the past 3 years for example. If the coach breaks his/her end of the deal then there may be grounds to look elsewhere. But, I would hope ANY coach would draw the line at "I do whatever I want to do whether my TB coach likes it or not. We can go to another travel team." I don't think this mentality would serve a kid on a HS team either--she can't just hop to another HS team to prove to the coach that she can do what she wants.

At any rate, most higher level coaches would happily release, if not recommend another team to a kid who bit off more team than she can chew with regard to commitment. I saw 'showcase' team in the OP and assumed this wasn't some low level psycho wingnut, and yes they do exist. We seem to be talking apples and oranges re coaches here.
VW

Last edited:

3sDad

Hmmm, this sounds more like what is more important to you as an individual, on a case by case basis...
As far my .02, if my DD wasnt in the current situation we have, she wouldnt play HS softball...PERIOD...HS ball and good travel ball are 180 degrees apart...HS Ball...(at least in my area) kids get to play based on grade and how far their moms head is up....*well you know*...more of a popularity contest....
Being good doesnt matter...but thats just my area...and as far as female sports this area could not care less about it...I just return the favor...

Disclaimer* Results may vary, consult a physician to see if your temper is in check enough to play HS (REC ball) Softball....Any rage that occurs longer than 4 hours, you should seek medical supervision*

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Typically showcases are hours away. Depending on the team she might have to sit at least one game as well for missing meaning she probably wouldn't play that Saturday and maybe even Sunday. Is it worth pissing off your travel coach for a sport you aren't dedicated to? The fact you are on a showcase team means you probably intend to try and play after HS. I guess it goes back to the original question. Do you play another sport if there is a possibility there might be one or two conflicts?

I think it would depend on whether you are going to a showcase to perform if front of college coaches that you have been in contact with, or if you are just "tagging along" to play in front of college coaches that you think may just happen to discover your tallent at a showcase. If you are going to a showcase to be seen by a coach who has expressed interest in you playing for that college, then a meeting with the HS coach of whatever sport you are playing at the time is all that is nessessary.

HS teachers, faculty, and coaches sole purpose is to see students go on to higher education. They will work with them in obtaining whatever higher goals they have. Just don't abuse them by thinking you have to go to every showcase tournament that claims to have college coaches comming. They are comming to look at specific players, and unless you are a top ten in the nation type player, they probably won't notice you, unless you are on their list of girls to look at before they get there.

If you don't have coaches comming specificaly to see you, I would think staying with the HS team and letting the TB coach play the girls who do more, would be the best thing to do for everybody. JMHO

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
I do believe situations vary from state to state so my comments obvious are limited to my area.

First off, we have always looked at sports as games and don't take them too seriously. We have always made sure our DD had plenty of time to participate in other activities. One activity has never dominated completely for a full year, each had it's season or time. I see so many parents, not players, put way too much pressure and priority on their kid's sports career.

We have always let the kid make the decisions on their sports career. We just make sure they have all of the information to make an informed decision. I had one DD get recruited by a D1 school for softball but she decided she didn't want to play in college. Fine, her choice. I have another DD that played travel volleyball on the national team level all through elementary school and decided not to pursue volleyball in high school. Again, her decision. I have another DD that is eclusively softball and has been pursued by a national championship program since her freshman travel summer season. Does she want to continue? I don't know completely but again it's her choice.

In my area, TB is far more competitive and better quality than HS ball. No doubt about it. The players are better, the games are better, the parents are nuts, and the coaching is generally better than HS. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. We have even looked into spring travel in place of the HS school season. No offense to HS programs, ours is just terrible.

We have been visiting colleges since this DD's sophomore year and not one coach has put any emphasis on HS ball. Everyone was interested in her TB experience. In the high schools around our area, being a teacher on the payroll is a higher priority than the quality of the coaching provided. So most of the colleges around here realize high school programs aren't a true representation of the kids abilities.

So, without a doubt, TB is more important than HS.

All of my DD's have kept a clear perspective on their sports careers. Each has a good head on their shoulders and I'm proud of each of them. They know they aren't going to be professional softball players so they play for the competitive fun and the challenge. They have learned many lessons about people, sports and life. So sports have definitely been a worthwhile venture. But they understand it is a means to an end, not an end by itself.

It's DD's career, her decision, her consequences, good or bad.

Just my thoughts...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1