How to teach sliding to a 9 yr old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2013
My nine year old is starting to slide very well sometimes. What or how can I teach her the proper way so that she will do it all the time? I appreciate the help!

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I like to pick a wet day, or bring some water to wet the grass down. I teach them the feet first, figure four position with their hands in the air. To help them, I have them remove their shoes (make sure they have on a pair of socks that can be discarded when done) and hold either open water bottles or eggs in their hands while sliding. Then have them run and slide into a throw-down base. Once they figure it out, it's like a light going off. Keep practicing so that they keep their hands up and don't jam them into the ground. The last thing you want is a flesh wound from the dirt or worse, a broken wrist.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There was a recent thread on this:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coaching-softball/12683-teaching-8u-how-slide.html

What Ax posts sounds like a blast but I have not tried it yet.

What or how can I teach her the proper way so that she will do it all the time?

If she sometimes slides properly it might be indecision on her part or coaches calling the slide too late. I know DD’s Team 3rd base coach had a bad habit of calling for the slide to late and was afraid my DD was going to jam her ankle. I do not know what you do about that but maybe talk to her when she should slide and make sure she is making her decision soon enough.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01