How to teach power

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
IMO, an important part of the fling is keeping the hands close to the rear shoulder. If you allow arm extension, then fling, this promotes an out-front whip, not the immediate/explosive launch we're looking for.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
IMO, an important part of the fling is keeping the hands close to the rear shoulder. If you allow arm extension, then fling, this promotes an out-front whip, not the immediate/explosive launch we're looking for.

TedCowCat_zps5af291e4.gif

cano_rearside2avi_zpsc3feeb99.gif

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for all the replies.

It's what we do. ;)

Looking at bigger-picture, she needs to get her body turning to drive/power the bat. Right now, it's a poke at the ball with her arms. Get that body working! The Happy Gilmore drill might be very effective for developing more body dynamics and athleticism into her swing.

Oct 25, 2009
Last year during private lessons I had 3 girls throwing the bat at the same time. They would throw, go to where the farthest bat landed, re-align and repeat the throws all the way around the fence.

Aug 12, 2014
It's what we do. ;)

Looking at bigger-picture, she needs to get her body turning to drive/power the bat. Right now, it's a poke at the ball with her arms. Get that body working! The Happy Gilmore drill might be very effective for developing more body dynamics and athleticism into her swing.

That's the problem - we can't get her to use her body more. We tried helicoptering and SnF today. She said her wrist hurt with the helicoptering, so I'm thinking she was using her arms too much. She did pretty well with SnF and said that felt good. So we’ll try that some more.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
If her wrist hurt she was dropping her lead elbow.

BM does a better job than I ever could of explaining...look at about the 1:10 mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiot08tJpDI&list=UUPprKV50U1EfmOdFKxGD4Sw

Now you can buy a t-ball bat for $9 at wally world and chop the knob off of it to make it not hurt. Also, show her some of the video and video so she can see what she is NOT doing. One of my DD's is a very visual learner and this has helped immensely.

And lastly...have fun with this...CP

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's the problem - we can't get her to use her body more. We tried helicoptering and SnF today. She said her wrist hurt with the helicoptering, so I'm thinking she was using her arms too much. She did pretty well with SnF and said that felt good. So we’ll try that some more.

Making dramatic changes to a swing pattern doesn't happen overnight. Keep working at it, and give her time to figure it out inside her own head. She has spent a long time with her current mental process and muscle memory pattern. It takes time to revise the pattern and teach the muscles a different way to move. Some things are going to feel weird to her. Keep educating yourself, but be careful about throwing every new thing you learn at her.

With my 9yo DD, there are some issues we've been working on for a year and still haven't fixed.

EDIT: The wrist discomfort may be from using muscles and tendons in ways that she isn't used to. Choking up on the bat (or using a smaller, lighter bat) may be effective for this drill at the beginning.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Hey Eric.

Is there a contradiction what Boardmember said in his Terminal Velocity video and the video of the guy throwing his bat into the net from the side by his shoulders?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hey Eric.

Is there a contradiction what Boardmember said in his Terminal Velocity video and the video of the guy throwing his bat into the net from the side by his shoulders?
I don't see a conflict between the two. Personally, I think the front elbow jut is a little exaggerated in Boardmember's demonstration, but what he's talking about meshes with what Swingbuilder demonstrates in the clip posted on the first page of this thread. The "whip" drill is focused on the action in the hands at "GO".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl