How to strengthen a catchers arm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
My daughter is a very small 10 year old, very petite but super athletic. She is currently playing on a 12u team.

Sometimes I worry about her arms when she is catching as some of the older girls pitch super fast and super hard. Are there any arm strengthening exercises she can do to strengthen her arms? She is currently catching for girls ages 11-13.
Thanks!

She's only 10 so she's too young to lift weights. If you have access to a pool I strongly suggest swimming or water aerobics.

Sep 27, 2015
It sounds like you are asking about arm strength for receiving, rather than throwing. Is that correct?

Generally speaking, regular upper-body and arm exercises (push-ups, curls, shoulder press, etc.) will be helpful in building core, shoulder, and arm strength that will help to keep strikes looking like strikes.

That is correct :) she can do throwdowns in her sleep and can catch most 10 and 12u pitchers without issues. But her two coaches are torn between her as number one and the other catcher as number one. My daughter is faster and has the better arm for throwing but is about 45lbs smaller so with their star pitcher, the sheer force of the ball sometimes moves her arm out of the strike zone

Dec 19, 2012
That is correct :) she can do throwdowns in her sleep and can catch most 10 and 12u pitchers without issues. But her two coaches are torn between her as number one and the other catcher as number one. My daughter is faster and has the better arm for throwing but is about 45lbs smaller so with their star pitcher, the sheer force of the ball sometimes moves her arm out of the strike zone

Usually, this is more a function of mechanics and technique over arm strength. This often happens when a young catcher receives the ball in the web of the mitt and their wrist is either above or below the ball. Do you have video of her catching?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Usually, this is more a function of mechanics and technique over arm strength. This often happens when a young catcher receives the ball in the web of the mitt and their wrist is either above or below the ball. Do you have video of her catching?

Yep. We've had this discussion in the past. ;)

Proudmumof2 - What I have found in working with young catchers is that it is very critical for them to shift their body (chin, chest, butt) behind the ball in order to put the arm in a stronger receiving position. Reaching laterally away from their body (especially across their chest) puts their arm in a weaker position for resisting the impact of the pitch, resulting in the ball getting carried away from the strike zone on impact. Being able to shift their body effectively requires a wide and stable base to work from (heels on the ground, feet spread apart). If her receiving position is up on her toes, with her feet underneath her butt, her effectiveness is being severely limited.

Some people don't like the idea of a shifting body, and think it's distracting to the umpire. What I have found is that putting oneself in the best position to firmly stick the location of the pitch is the single most effective thing a catcher can do to keep strikes looking like strikes. For young players, especially, this mandates some shifting of the body to create a strong receiving position.

All this said, improving arm strength will also help the equation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell