How to stop the shot put throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Well thanks again Guys and Gals . I have learned some new drills . I to have pulled my hair out watching the young team throw incorectly hurting thier arms ,and thier bodies. I was suprised to understand that the holy grale of throwing drills like wrist flick actually encouraged a bad habbit. So much for that drill . I am very fond of the bat drill I viewed .I believe it will find a place in my throwing drills. Thanks again!!!! Leaders.

One of the best tools that I use are spinners. They are 12 inch rubber hockey puck like things that force you to spin the ball off your fingertips. They are kind of expensive but I bought 6 of these and we use them at the start of every practice to warm up. The girls have to get the thing to spin correctly and you cannot do it by pushing.

Jan 8, 2012
CT
Go to the Throwing sticky in this forum and watch it over and over. My daughter had the exact issue with dropping her elbow and pushing the ball. Regardless of what she tried, she just couldn't master the up and out arm motion; her elbow would eventually drop causing arm pain and weak throws. Out of desperation, we tried the bent elbow, behind the head approach and it clicked immediately for her. The concept of turning the shoulders and coming straight over the top seemed very natural for her. She no longer has arm pain, is criticized by coaches for her throwing form, and is a much happier player.

I have to admit, I was skeptical at first, but give it a try. I have yet to read the new ebook on throwing technique, but I suspect it is along these same principles. Good luck

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
When you say "shot put throws" are you saying the ball starts at about the shoulder and they throw from there? Typically when you see this the ball end up short or at the feet of the target. My DD had this habit also. To break her of this I would sit her on a bucket or you can use a large exercise ball and have the player throw the ball to you. It will force her to bring the ball to desired location before throwing it. I watched a video on this somewhere (I think it may be from the guy Amy is referring to, Austin) and I must say it did the trick and only took about a month of doing this a few times a week for the muscle memory to kick in.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Whatever you do, understand that it will take time. if you expect it to be fixed in one season you may be disappointed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd