How to Pitch When Ahead 0-2 in the Count?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
I have been having conversations with my 17 year old DD on what to throw when ahead 0-2. Typically, she will throw a couple of pitches that are probably a foot off the plate. And so, typically, the count becomes 2-2 with the advantage lost. My 14 year old DD approaches it differently. She will often go to her CU and get a strike out or try to throw a DB just off the plate. She'll often get a K or a weak hit but sometimes she misses and gives up a hit. My question, for the expert is, what is the best way to pitch when ahead 0-2 in the count?

Aug 6, 2013
Yes - Something off the plate or out of the zone - I HATE 0-2 HITS!
They should not be able to get wood to an 0-2 Pitch at all - You want a swinging strike on 0-2
1-2 or 2-2 you can start getting a little closer and look for the soft hit to 2B if you cant get the ball past them.
(Remember 2-2 is still pitchers advantage)

May 13, 2012
Pick one of two pitches. 1 off speed movement pitch she controls the best. 2. pitch that exploits a swing flaw of the batter. Best case these two align.

Sep 17, 2009
Couldn't a case be made that a batter is at their weakest 0-2 (batting averages attest to that) and pitcher should use that as their best opportunity to attack the hitter -- even if the pitch ends up in the zone? Yes, don't be fat. But also don't be so obvious: a foot off the plate, at eye level, in the dirt, etc...I know, I know..I've lived never give up a two-out hit as much as the next coach...just thinking out loud.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I
Pick one of two pitches. 1 off speed movement pitch she controls the best. 2. pitch that exploits a swing flaw of the batter. Best case these two align.

This right here. If a batter swings at high pitches. Throw something eye high. The trick to not going 2-2 is to make those pitches look like they are going to catch some plate. But they don't. If it looks 2 feet off the plate the whole way. You just gave the. Batter a free ball, if it looks like it's close that forces a batter to swing.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
Fast Ball or a Riser high above the letters or a change up/breaking pitch low down and away. You are looking to get them to chase a pitch because you know with two strikes they are trained to swing and protect.

If thrown high above the letters, when hit, usually induces a pop fly. Low and away can get you a ground ball when contact is made. Rough personal observations show the odds are 50% the time they look at it and it is a ball. 15% they swing miss and you get a strike. 20% swing at it and it is a foul, 10% they make some type of contact but are put out and 5% they get a hit off you. That is a 25% chance for an out if executed.

From the research done on baseball Sabr - Study of the count

"THE 0-2 PITCH. The aforementioned inability of batters to improve their ability to protect the plate with two strikes on them makes questionable the cherished notion of using the 0-2 pitch as a "waste pitch." And the statistics bear out this questioning of the "book." In those instances with an 0-2 count when the pitcher put the ball close enough to the strike zone to compel the batter to swing at it, the batter struck out 24% of the time! This compares quite favorably with the overall 19% swing-and-miss rate for all counts."

With the 0-2 pitch you have a lot of options. Teaching you catchers their options will help them call a better game make your pitchers look better in the long run.

Jun 7, 2013
If it looks 2 feet off the plate the whole way. You just gave the. Batter a free ball, if it looks like it's close that forces a batter to swing.

This is what I am hoping to avoid, giving away a free ball. But, of course, we totally don't want to give up a hit on an 0-2 count. Even in the MLB playoffs I have seen the pitchers get ahead. Throw a couple of balls way off the plate and now its 2-2. Most major league hitters don't swing at balls that far off the plate--ever! Most hitters my oldest DD is facing now, never swing at that stuff either.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Depends on the pitcher and the situation and the batter... but the key is variety. If she ONLY throws balls way out of the zone, then everyone is just going to take. Our policy is really 'no meatballs' but we can be pretty aggressive. Our fielding has been good this season, so if we give the batter a borderline strike up or down in the zone and they get some contact we are still normally OK.

Early in the game, my DD likes to stay out of the zone and go fast/up and in, two seamer away or change up away. A little more off the plate than later, but trying to work the umpires zone away.

Later she likes to try her nastiest pitch she can in a nasty spot - for her that is either throw a two-seamer really inside at the knees with the idea of bringing it back onto the inside edge or throw it starting on the outside edge of the plate and have it move off. Real nibble pitches that are trying to catch a thin corner (and miss on the off the plate side).

Occasionally she will try to blast one by someone if she thinks the batter is weak or thinks the batter is 90% set up to take. Sometimes a risk, but striking a girl out of three pitches (especially looking) can be a real plus if it works out. Oh and her and her catcher have their sign for 'set up outside, I'm throwing inside and hard' so it looks like we are setting up for an off the plate outside pitch but are really going to blast it inside.

We hate giving up 0-2 hits, but if we only give up 1 a game we will get over it.

Edit: One more: If the batter swung at a pitch out of the zone to get to 0-2 and their coach says something about it like 'Swing at strikes' or 'What are you swinging at', we are even more likely to come back with a strike. If we have a chance to really impose our will on an opponent, we will take that chance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves