How to increase speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 24, 2020
My daughter's 10u Fall season just finished up. Her high of right now is 47mph. Since she's done playing until the spring, my question is what's the best way to add more speed in the offseason? IE: drills, weighted ball etc... Thanks in advanced!

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
At 10U, I would suggest focusing on building sound mechanics. Things are going to change for her (and everyone) dramatically when she gets to 12U and is throwing a 12" ball from 40'. Her speed will largely come as a function of sound mechanics and her natural physical development. 47 from 35' at 10U certainly doesn't sound slow to me.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD always avoid weighted balls. Because of me she refused when coaches asked her. A recent C post stated a similar opinion, I was not comfortable to go there. Might be dead wrong.

Long toss, walk through with real ball is my opinion.

Jan 6, 2018
At 10U, I would suggest focusing on building sound mechanics. Things are going to change for her (and everyone) dramatically when she gets to 12U and is throwing a 12" ball from 40'. Her speed will largely come as a function of sound mechanics and her natural physical development. 47 from 35' at 10U certainly doesn't sound slow to me.
This. Keep growing and using sound mechanics.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Long toss incorporated into every outdoor session even if 5 throws after completely warmed up. I like unweighted balls for walk throughs, and close up pitching to tarp with under weight ball focus on fast without a target.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
As has been said, first focus on mechanics. I have seen some 10U pitchers with decent velocity and poor mechanics, they are big kids and just plain muscle the ball. As they move up the ladder in age they get stuck because their mechanics are not sound and other kids catch up to them in size.

Jul 31, 2015
Speed is not the thing to worry about right now (and 47 is hella fast for a 9 yr old.)

Is she moving up to 12U in the spring?
If so, start working from 40' and with the larger ball.

Focus on mechanics, location and changing speeds.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As has been said, first focus on mechanics. I have seen some 10U pitchers with decent velocity and poor mechanics, they are big kids and just plain muscle the ball. As they move up the ladder in age they get stuck because their mechanics are not sound and other kids catch up to them in size.

I saw this quite a few times. I recall one girl, in particular. She was 5'-10" tall at 10yo, threw 50+mph from 35', and pretty much struck everyone out (my DD's team managed just 2 balls in play). When she moved to 12U at 40' with a 12" ball, she lost her dominance. She quit the game before the end of her first year in 12U.

Dec 24, 2020
Speed is not the thing to worry about right now (and 47 is hella fast for a 9 yr old.)

Is she moving up to 12U in the spring?
If so, start working from 40' and with the larger ball.

Focus on mechanics, location and changing speeds.
No. She's still in 10u in spring. 12u next fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez