How to determine best bat length and weight?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
What is the best way to determine the right size bat for DD. Is there a general rule or done mostly by feel? I have seen the length charts but seems relatively simplistic. Just wondering what other's may have found with their DD's

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I was just thinking about this. I used to think lighter was better until reading some recent posts. Umped a game on Saturday and while checking the bats, I came across a 34/25. The girl is 13, tall and slim. I told my partner that I thought it was way too big. Her first hit went to the fence between the gap and got a double out of it...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While there are sizing guidelines, the size/weight bat your DD should use depending on her size, strength and hand speed. An end loaded bat (-9) will also require more wrist strength to snap through the hitting zone, but if she makes solid contact it should go further.

Apr 1, 2010
There's a method to determine weight by having her hold the bat straight out to the side with her throwing arm. She should be able to hold it level horizontally without dipping for 30 seconds.

I once saw a dvd that advocated checking for length by having a youngster put the knob of the bat in the middle of their chest and hold it out across their outstretched arm. Their fingers were supposed to be able to reach the end of the bat and/or curl over the endcap up to the first joint. If they couldn't reach the end--too long. If they were able to cup the end of the bat--too short.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
[SUP][/SUP]They have to swing and hit different bats. A weaker girl that keeps her hands inside the ball can swing a heavier bat better then a strong girl that casts her hands out. Then there is what they prefer. The same people who say "heavy as they can handle" follow Ted, who said he prefered a lighter bat then most of his team mates.
My dd swung 30 oz in bp all winter. She prefers 21oz in games. She can wait longer and swing faster. So far this year, no k's and 2 hr. Have not faced or seen another 12u come close this year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole