How to: Change Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My DD and my #2 pitcher both throw a flip--both of have spiral rotation. Another throws with the pinky and thumb opposing each other and tries to palm the ball. She also tries to keep her index and middle fingers off the ball. This one has better spin, but isn't as slow as the two with the flip. Any suggestions for either, or should they bag them and go with something else?

My #1, with the thumb-opposing-the-pinky-grip, asked about an off-speed. I recall a video suggesting adding more fingers to the ball to achieve a good off-speed--Coach Hillhouse?

Thanks,
Ken

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Ken, you forgot the most important part. Always use the same throwing motion as you use for all your other pitches. A telegraphed change up to a good batter, which is who you use a change up on, is a chuck and duck pitch!

Jan 27, 2010
My DD and my #2 pitcher both throw a flip--both of have spiral rotation. Another throws with the pinky and thumb opposing each other and tries to palm the ball. She also tries to keep her index and middle fingers off the ball. This one has better spin, but isn't as slow as the two with the flip. Any suggestions for either, or should they bag them and go with something else?

My #1, with the thumb-opposing-the-pinky-grip, asked about an off-speed. I recall a video suggesting adding more fingers to the ball to achieve a good off-speed--Coach Hillhouse?

Thanks,
Ken
Your DD and #2 are not getting their hand in position early enough or continuing to turn their wrist at release.The reason your #1 tucks the ball deep in her hand restricts the use of the wrist.Her fingers should point to the ground at release so the ball will be released without wrist snap and will instead leave the hand off of the palm. The off speed can be achieved by placing your index finger more on the side of the ball taking away one of the power fingers from the ball at release.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Your DD and #2 are not getting their hand in position early enough or continuing to turn their wrist at release.The reason your #1 tucks the ball deep in her hand restricts the use of the wrist.Her fingers should point to the ground at release so the ball will be released without wrist snap and will instead leave the hand off of the palm. The off speed can be achieved by placing your index finger more on the side of the ball taking away one of the power fingers from the ball at release.

Is there something they can do to help them get the hand turned, or is it a matter of hard work with instant feedback. We're going to stripe all our practice balls, which I think should help.

Is the index finger on the side similar to a circle change?

Thanks

Jan 27, 2010
KenB, My suggestion would be to tell your DDs to have the back of their hand facing the target just prior to release or flip. The striped ball will show the position of the wrist when released. If your DDs' shoulder is continuing to close as she releases, this can also cause a spiral spin. Yes the index finger is on the side for the off speed.

Nov 29, 2009
Ken, what I tell the girls I work with is to be sure when they are at the 9:00 position in the circle they have to make sure their thumb would be pointing down if they did not have ball in it. This helps them get the back of the hand turned in time when they reach the release point for the pitch.

Another thing I noticed with girls who are late with the wrist is they tend to stiffen the arm and lock the elbow which removes of the mobility they have with the arm.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I usually teach them to get the hand turned with the back facing away at the top of the circle. The point, though, is don't wait until right before release to turn it. Get it in position first so you can be sure to drag it knuckles-first through the release zone.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
I recommend you get a few Spin-rite Spinners. They are plastic rings of the same weight and diameter of a softball, with simulated threads.
They are excellent at training drills for the backhand flip changeup -- better than using a ball with colored tape to show spin. They give you feedback by their flight characteristics -- if you don't align your delivery properly, it will wobble and/or the spin axis will be off line.
jim
PS you can find them for sale online from many vendors. Priced from $20 to $25 ea. Pricey, but when you're training with one, you'll wish you had a dozen to use.

Apr 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I recommend you get a few Spin-rite Spinners. They are plastic rings of the same weight and diameter of a softball, with simulated threads.
They are excellent at training drills for the backhand flip changeup -- better than using a ball with colored tape to show spin. They give you feedback by their flight characteristics -- if you don't align your delivery properly, it will wobble and/or the spin axis will be off line.
jim
QUOTE]

I agree with using the Spinner, as a player and now a coach it gives instant results that you can't ignore. Not even the most stubborn teenager can deny :) .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207