How to approach the situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My daughter has been playing TB for a year now (8U) with the same team ... outside of that team I'm completely new to the whole TB world.
We parted ways with her old team when it was time for the girls to age up (subject for a completely different thread) & started looking for a new team. I went on the message board for a local TB tournament outfit & started looking ... I found 2 tryouts that were coming up & signed her up & then found just a team looking for players. I emailed the HC & we talked back & forth through email ... he invited DD to a practice to see how she liked it & then asked her to play with them in their next tournament. We went to practice ... she fell right into place with the other girls, seemed to be taken in with open arms & wanted to play with them in the next tourney. After talking with the coach he asked what number DD wore & was having her a uniform shirt printed. At that time I also found out that he had recently left a team that had some of the same issues as we did & was forming this new 10u team through this organization. He told me that there was a few girls that was playing Fall Ball together & he had brought them over to this team. He didn't have enough girls to fill the roster so he was planning to use some 12u girls that could play down for that weekend. We had all agreed that for the fall season we would just split the entry fee for each tourney & then first of the year we would start fresh with full uniforms & equipment & things. All sounded good to me ... DD was happy & seemed to have met a few new friends. We played the first weekend with some players from the 12u playing down ... DD played 2B/OF & only struck out once (which I thought was good considering she had never hit against a live pitcher). This past weekend we played ... 11 players he picked up some new girls (I have no clue from where or what their background was). It was a 1 day tourney with a 3gg ... my DD bat twice & played 1 inning all weekend. He benched the 2 same girls the whole day. The other girl was his #2 hitter. I asked my DD did he tell her why he sat her on the bench & she said he didn't & she told me that for the bracket game he told her she was a sub so she would hit or play in. ??? 2 pool games we got 4th seed out of 14. So here is my issue ... I understand he's going to play his Top 9 in the bracket games ... BUT he picked up 2 more players than he needed, sat 2 of his "original" girls on the bench all day. We all paid the same amount of money Saturday morning. I feel like mine should have gotten a little more time on the field (at least in pool games). I more or less sat there all day watching strangers play ball while my kid sat on the bench.
How should I approach this? Should I email the HC & what should I say? I don't want to start off on a bad note with the HC but I want him to understand how I feel. I'm not one of those parents that think that my child should start every game & always on the field. I believe that if you are going to rotate them be consistent & have a reason. We've had practices & he's told her after each one how good she done ... if she is struggling I would think he should tell me ... especially if she's struggling so much that he's not going to play her @ all. Please help ... am I right or am I wrong?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Using pickup players is always a 'catch-22'. It sounds like the whole team is made up of 'pickup players' at this point with some planning to stay together next Spring. How does your DD rate compared to the other players on the team? A lot of coaches like to 'put their best foot forward' in tournaments they play during recruiting season. It is a lot easier to recruit new players after winning or losing a close game to a good team vs. just getting 'run ruled'........

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I don't think it would do any harm to call the coach and ask his intentions. As long as you use it for informational purposes and not to complain. New team, fall ball, usually equals informal tryouts for the tournaments. Like JAD said, his real intentions are probably geared for next years spring season. I'd ask where your DD falls into that.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
8U Travel Ball? Why would anyone play 8U travel ball?

They should be playing rec ball and getting playing time and learning to love the game, and playing with friends and having fun..not having nutty parents and coaches worrying about playing time...and struggling etc.
Struggling? at 8U ? Give me a break.

Jan 24, 2011

They should be playing rec ball and getting playing time and learning to love the game, and playing with friends and having fun..not having nutty parents and coaches worrying about playing time...and struggling etc.

There are a lot of 8u teams in my area. Most of the girls play Rec ball during the week and then tournaments once or twice a month.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
^^^^^^^^ I think the OP said she "played" 8u, and this is a 10u team. "Her first year with live pitching".

I know some teams that take 8u just as serious as 18u. I also know some 18u that play and act like 8u. :)

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Wow, we don't have 8U travel ball here in SoCal. I guess I just don't get it. Even at 10U travel teams are sparse here.
My DD just left for college and I am so happy to be done with travel ball!

8u is very competitive in our area. Our team won 1st place in points with the state tournament organization that we play in (IFA). My DD started playing softball through the YMCA & her team won the Dixie Youth District Tournament & advanced to the State. After that she still wanted to play & in our area TB is the only other option until the next spring. We don't have fall ball in our county. The TB that she was on had 2 of her best friends on it & she has learned a lot & improved tremendously from Y ball. If it hadn't been for the poor coaching we wouldn't have left so that she could move up with her friends. I never said she was struggling @ 8u ... she will be 10 in February so she is NOW playing with a 10u team. I'm NOT a nutty parent nor am I going to complain about playing time as long as there is consistency & reasoning IF I paying.

Apr 9, 2012
Midwest has a ton of 8U and 10U teams with A B and C divisions year round. We have 8U girl pitch tournies now.......

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Then maybe you can let this Mom enjoy her time with her DD, no matter what age, like you have done with your DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi